New clutch springs installed, slight slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clutch springs installed, slight slip

I installed new clutch springs last week and slipping is almost gone, it is about 85% better. Over 6000RMP and full throttle I think there is still some slip, but hard for me to tell since everything is roaring...
    Should I yank out the clutch disks and measure?
    Old springs were odd when I removed them, some were longer than others.
    About an hour later I wanted to look at them again to see what the differences were they were all pretty much the same length, I guess they relaxed back to original length, evidence of them being weak?
    Any comment or suggestion welcomed...

TIA
    John
    When I die I want to go in my sleep like my Grandfather,... not screaming like the passangers in his car!

I'm no clutch expert, but I'd think about whether worn springs would accelerate the deterioration of clutch fibers - ie burning them out.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey Grabber,

Was wondering while you went thru all of that work to get to the springs and then the tricky retorquing the star plate, then NOT take the plates out and measure them with a micrometer!?

IF they measure to within spec, then you also should inspect them for varnishing, and perhaps scrub the steels a bit to remove varnish. But for about $50.00 you can get a set of stock rated friction plates and replace them!? Good luck, and be careful with that Star Plate, they don't make them anymore!
      T.C.

PS, were the new springs just STOCK rated, or heavy duty!?

And I'm sure you readjusted the clutch throwout rod/lever at the clutch housing per the instructions, 1/4 turn out from seat!?
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OOPs

Topcat,
        I did not know to check discs at the time...oops. I only read manual to see how to change springs.
        Springs are the ones from parts-n-more so they are stock I guess.
        I did not adjust rod-throwout, just the cable at the lever.
        I will adjust it properly, I did not think it would matter if I changed the springs but now I think it might..!
        Thanks,
        John
        When I die I want to go in my sleep like my Grandfather,... not screaming like the passangers in his car!

Comment

Working...
        X