Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Bolt Extraction

Suggestions Needed for XJ 1100.

Problem: Head on the bolt which goes through oil filter cap and oil filter is rounded off. Bought a new one and I've tried every extraction tool / socket / vise grip etc that I can get and to no avail. The thing won't budge. I even tried a chisel but it was just cutting through the soft metal.

The bike has 23K miles on it and I have no idea how long the filter has been in it and while I've changed the oil it's driving me bonkers that I can't change the filter.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Help!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=stripped+bolt

is a thread about the same problem that you are having. Good luck getting the thing out!
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Disconnect the battery and brain box, than have a 19mm nut welded onto what's left of the bolt head. That ough to give you enough purchase to get it off. BTW - this is a good idea for anybody who still has the original 12mm bolt head.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

You'll never get the bolt out. Just give the bike to me and start over with another bike .
        Just be more stubborn than the bolt. It's a karma thing .
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Another approach I just thought about, since you already have a replacement bolt, is just cut the head off of the one you have using a dremmel cut off disc. Just need to be a little careful against the oil filter housing not to nick it too much. However, the bolt seals with an extra O-ring on the bottom, not just a smooth contact with the bottom of the filter chamber!

Once you get the head off, you can slide the chamber down off of the bolt, then you'll have the entire bolt to grab ahold of with pipe wrench, lock jaws, etc!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

use an air chisel to move the bolt. just a couple of taps at a time and youll work it free. I had the same problem back in '92.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
            Second bike is an FJR1300.
            Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Thanks

Looks like I'll be grinding that ol bolt head off but before I do I'll try that small pipe wrench idea.

Thanks for the suggestions.

SCook

Comment

One last thing to try....
                If you can get the clearance under the bike, use a hack saw to saw the top of the bolt, as in a screw driver slot. Then try an impact hammer on the bolt. That may be all you need to break it.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As we all know, these bolt heads are very soft. I was able to get my rounded bolt out by hammering a smaller socket onto the bolt and removing as usual.
                  1980 XS 1100 Standard
                  1980 XS 1100 Special
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Working...
                  X