Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing my front rubber or I've been slimed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my front rubber or I've been slimed!

I have a tire that I'd like to put on my xs11.
    I think that the previous owner had put the green slime stuff in the old one to help stop a leak or something. Does anyone know what kind of job I'm up against with this one?

Basically, I think I need to take the old tire off.
    Remove all the goo from the rim.
    Put the new tire on.

So, if anyone has had experience with the green gak, I'd like to know any tips for cleaning it off.

Thanks.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

I don't have experience with the green goo but I do have with changing a tire and cleaning the grime off. When the wheel assembly is off, Who cares what happens to the old, bad tire. I would use a cleaner like mineral spirits, cleaning solvent, or equivelent. This is a good time to check the front wheel bearings and shoot some new grease in old places. Remember that when installing the new tire, The dot goes even with the valve stem. Here's a tip for balancing your tire. Install the wheel assembly but leave the axle loose. Do not install the calipers at this time. Give the wheel a light spin ( you want it to go around at least once ) When it stops rotating, Mark the tire ( black sharpe ) at the bottom, Do this a few more times. If the rotation stops at the same spot, Then you need a little bit of weight on the opposite side, ( stops at 6:00 weight at 12:00 ) You want it to stop at a different place each time you spin it. I used regular car steal rim weights on mine. I talked with the local old timer guru here and he said that will work fine. As long as they are tight.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

If it's like most green goo....it's water base and should wash right out with a little soap and water.

I can't remember the last time I had to balance a motorcycle tire. If the original wheel weight is still on ... just line yellow dot on the tire up with the valve stem. 99.9998 % the wheel will be balanced.

Also...the XS and XJ have a propensity for the front caliper to rub on the disc after re-installing the front tire/wheel. If this happens just loosen the axle pinch bolt and slightly adjust the front fork accordingly.

Comment

Working...
      X