need help, my XJ1100 won't stop starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help, my XJ1100 won't stop starting

I'm new to riding and don't know much about engines either. Hoping anyone out there can offer some advice. While riding my bike it started making an odd wining noise so i, of course, shut it off. I kill the bike's engine but, it doesn't stop running instead it just starts sputtering. This goes on for a minute or two untill the engine finally dies. I try starting it again, no go, everything is dead, nothing works. Upon getting it home I find the battery is dead. Well, I've tried jumping the battery with another one from a car, as soon as you give it any juice the engine starts trying to turn over. Mind you, while it is doing this the bike is off. Now I am figuring it's the starter but, I don't know enough to be sure. I've talked to three different bike shops in town and all three of them have given me different answers to what they think the problem is... If any of you out there might be able to help me out that would be great.

Bad starter solenoid?
    '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
    '66 Thunderbird

Comment

Shorted starter button, or wire for button? The button grounds out the solenoid to fire it, so if that wire is pinched anywhere, or the spring inside the switch is busted, it could make contact with frame / ground.

Man that would draw lot of juice if it's on all the time, never mind frying the starter motor. They're not built for continuous duty.

Then again, the button could just be stuck in it's hole!

Comment

Working...
      X