middle, final drive oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• middle, final drive oil question

I lost my manual for my XJ110 and am in the process of changing oils. I have read back posts, but wanted to double check drain and fill locations on the XJ. Is it the same as on the XS as I have seen in previous posts? Also are the fluid amounts the same for the XJ (both main oil and middle/final drives)?

thanks
    bryan

Yes they are the same. According to Clymers they both take 10 oz of gear oil, but I have never been able to get the final drive to take that much. I use synthetic gear oil in the middle and final drives.
    One tip before you drain the fluids...make sure the filler plug will come out before you drain the fluids. At least if you can't remove the filler, you won't have an empty drive on your hands.

Comment

thanks
      I'll give her a shot. btw. what is the amount for crankcase oil, 4 qt?

bryan

Comment

It's written on the cover next to the filler cap 3000 cc's. I just throw 4 qts in.

Comment

make sure the filler plug will come out
          Like many others, I had real trouble getting both middle and final plugs out. Now they are pretty boogered.

Anyone know of a suitable alternative plug? Seems to me any automoitve drain plug, with the same metric thread, might work OK?
          Rick
          '80 SG
          '88 FXR
          '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Hey, if you figure that out an alternative plug, I'd like to know...I have a boogered one.
            '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
            '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

After I trashed mine getting it out, I just bought one from the local yamaha shop. I don't think it was very expensive.
              The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Working...
              X