Anyone mount a sidecar to an XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone mount a sidecar to an XS1100

A friend of mine just traded me a 79 F model for some goods/services. It has the fairing, and Samsonite luggage/tour pack. I need to replace the tires, get them balanced and change the fork oil. Hopefully, this will take care of the shimmy in the front end (it has the wild looking loopy fork brace).

I'm looking for a sidecar for the bike. Anyone else mount a sidecar to an XS1100?

I had a Vetter Terraplane on a XJ in 1982. My wife loved it but it changed ridding to driving.

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

I currently have a Vetter Terraplane hooked up on my 80SG and I like it alot. Fred in Toon has a hack on his XS as well. You might check the vetter terraplane site on yahoo there are a couple over there as well.
      Dan
      Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
      81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

I've run a velorex on my SF for several years and it's worked acceptably after many modifications. A Velorex is really too light for an XS1100 and needs an axle and wheel upgrade. Also, the universal mounts aren't - they WILL slip so plan on some metal fabrication if you decide on this model.

I agree with the statement that you either love sidecars or you hate them. If possible, test ride a hack before you invest time and $$$ into a rig. I've found that I can only cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the highway miles per day versus a regular bike depending on the wind and twisties.

I do a lot of backcountry travel and I like the ability to navigate gravel and muddy roads that I wouldn't even attempt on my 2-wheeled XS's. Not to mention that my dogs love to cruise and there's plenty of room for camping gear.

I picked up a Chiang Jang hack last winter and am currently in the mount fabrication process. I'm hoping that a Steerite steering modification and stabilizer will make the rig easier to handle.

There's a great yahoo group called SCT (Side Car Talk) with an extensive "knowledge base" and a bunch of great folks that are willing to help with questions.

Luck,

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X