Carb boot installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb boot installation

I ordered the new carb boots and received them yesterday. I plan to install them tomorrow, but I have a question first.

All four of the boots I received have small lines running out of them, but it looks to me like only the forward ones have lines coming out on the bike. Do the back ones have lines coming out that I simply can't see yet?

What am I missing?
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Take the vacuum caps from the old # 2, 3 & 4 boots and relace them on the new ones. The hose from 1 boot goes to the octopus. Or take a new boot to an auto parts store and get some vacuum caps that will fit the nipples on the boots.

Comment

1/4" caps fit the petcocks, the intake boots use 3/16" caps.
      I removed my octopus. I capped the prime on the petcocks (1/4" caps) and ran a 1/4" hose from the petcock to a 'T' on each side, from one 'T' to the other, and from each 'T' to each carb inlet. (this tip from another lister and found in the "tips" section of this forum).
      This allows for 2 smaller reserves. I have found that the right petcock isn't flowing any gas but the bike runs fine on the left one.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. I got the boots on and put it all back together and it would NOT run. Missing on 1 and 4. After much work and checking and re-checking, I towed it to the shop. UNCLE! It seems strange that this would crop up, but it was running very roughly when I started.

Oh well. At least it'll be running great when it comes out.
        The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Missing on 1 and 4 sounds like a problem with a broken pick-up coil wire. Check the tech tips for a fix.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
          X