Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil

I was wondering if I can use normal car oil in my XJ 1100. I checked the forum and all I could find was talk about the syn type of car oil. I bought some Mobil not syn 20/50 and was wonder if this would work ok. I going to take a trip in July to Colorado and want to make sure that this is ok. Or should I buy the Yamaha Oil. Don't want to be cheap on the oil and burn up the engine. But I like to save money to.

Just dump in four quarts of Castrol 20w-50 and be gone. I have been using it for over 13 years, and not oil problems yet.

Comment

Check out this recent thread
      Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Thanks for the info, I think I will use the Castrol 20/50.

Comment

I've had my bike for 24+ years and have used nothing but Castrol motor oil 10w-30 in both engines.
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

I am going to start using the Castrol 20w-50 on my next oil change.

Ron
            Let's Roll
            1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Comment

I just put in a new post. I trying to get the oil changed but it's not draining out. I warmed up the engine but all that will come out is whats in the filter. HELP

Comment

You need to look a bit further back for the crankcase drain plug. Get down on you knees' look up at the bottom of the crankcase behind the oil filter housing, and you'll find the plug.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

I found it already and put the new oil in. Started take off and noticed I had not put the spring back in the oil filter houseing.

Comment

Did you find the washer that sits between the spring and the filter also?

Comment

Didn't see one in there. One didn't come out when I pulled the old filter off. I guess it won't hurt I've been riding it for the last year like that. Unless I just didn't see it come out today.

Comment

They have been known to stick to the old filter when it is removed.

Comment

I just changed my oil and the washer was stuck to the old filter - I never would have seen it if I didn't know to look for it. You might want to check your old filter - I think you want that washer in there to spread the load from the spring across the rubber gasket on the filter.
                          Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

I'll go check, I just lost 1 qt and now it looks like I will lose another one. Not my day

Comment

you were right. It was stuck on the bottom of the old filter. Here goes again. Any other suggestion while I have the filter off. Just checking so I don't have to do it again. Thanks for the Help

Comment

Working...
                              X