snap ring "thingie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snap ring "thingie"

Wow, am in the process of rebuilding the front master cylinder and I can't for the life of me firgure out how to get the piston out. There seems to be some other ring in front of the snap ring. It does not have holes that the snap ring does to get it out. I know that I have had it out before, but I can't remember how.

Thanks

Travis
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...id=49315333407
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Oops, I tried to add a piture of my new son on the back of my XS. Don't worry, I am not taking him on rides yet. Can't figure out how to get the pic to post.... I am just a big loser today.
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

Front Master Cylinder

I had a similar problem the first time I did the master on Ratbyk. Couldn't for the life of me get that ring/washer whatever out of the way. I finally drilled a 3/16" hole in through the aluminum casting of the cylinder directly opposite the offending ring. I then went in through that hole with a ice pick type tool and levered up and out to get down to the snap ring.
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Hey Travis,

I tried editting your links, but the Kodak Photo Sharing Gallery apparently doesn't allow DIRECT linking to the photos, cause I even accessed the link you posted which does work, and then got the photo displayed properties, and tried posting that in the [IMG] style links, but all it shows is a little box with a red "X".

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...3407_0_ALB.jpg

Try getting a membership at Photodump, and then you'll be able to post them directly in your messages here!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

this is from photodump. Maybe it will work.

Nobody else has anymore suggestions on the snap ring thingie? I really hate to drill into a perfectly horrible master cylinder. I guess that I am a little scared.

Topcat, not sure if you read the thread on X military people on this site, I just read it the other day and posted. I am an X corpsman too!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Travis
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

now?
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

I've found it necessary to depress the plunger to take the spring pressure off of the backside of the snap ring before trying to remove it. The only thing I can think of on the 'outside' of the snap ring might be the remnants of the spring that is encased in the end of the rubber boot to hold it in place. If it is still there, you should be able to fish it out with a dental pick or scraper.

BTW - let's see how this works:
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Sorry guys, my monitor screen is not big enough for this picture either?
                Ken/Sooke

Comment

I've got dual monitors and it's still way to wide!

Louis
                  "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                  brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                  '82 XJ1100J
                  LED Dir and running lights
                  LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                  Modulated H/L
                  PIAA Driving lights
                  YICS Eliminated
                  750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

How did you get that pic to post? What am I doing wrong? Can I make it smaller?

I whimped out on the snap ring thingie and took it to my dad. He is a machinist by trade. He had the whole thing rebuilt for me in an hour or so. Did not even give me a chance to help! I will put it back on when I get off of work in the am, then I get to bleed it! Fun, fun.

Travis
                    Travis Miller
                    1978 E

Comment

Travis, from the pic it looks like you have a standard M/C on special bars. That may account for some of your bleeding woes. The special M/C has a sharp angle to keep the M/C level because of the downward sweep of the bars.

You may have been getting some air traped in the banjo. Just my $.02

Comment

Good observation, Randy. Maybe he should loosen up on the handle bar mounts, and tilt them to get the M/C level. Reverse bleeding works good too. Just empty the reservior, remove a caliper from it's mount, and use a small C clamp and give the caliper a squeeze. That will force any air trapped at the extreme angle of the M/C into the reservior. That's how I bleed the brakes on baggage tractors at work, when I have changed the M/C. I do bench bleed the M/C first, of course.

Comment

It is a standard m/c, I am not sure of the bars. I have the bars all the way to the left and the m/c at an angle where it is flat right now. I can not get it to build up any pressure at all? A small amount of brake fluid comes out of the bleeders when I open them , but I can't get the lever to build up any pressure. I am getting quite frustrated by this whole ordeal.

Travis
                          Travis Miller
                          1978 E

Comment

I have the m/c back off of the bike now. Should I have fluid squirting out of the end when I try to bleed it off of the bike? I just have a little fluid oozing out very slowly.

Travis
                            Travis Miller
                            1978 E

Comment

Hold your finger over the end so it doesn't suck air in on the back stroke. That will force the piston to draw fluid from the reservior. Eventually the bore will fill with fluid and you can then re-mount the M/C on the bike

Comment

Working...
                              X