Leaking float bowl gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking float bowl gaskets

I just replaced my needles, seats, and bowl gaskets on my 79F and a couple of the gaskets are leaking slightly (while the bike is on the center stand if that matters). Should I have used gasket sealer on the gaskets or do I just need to tighten the the bowls up a bit? The Phillips screws were already a bit buggered, so I went easy on them. (Prolly shoulda changed to socket heads while I had the chance.)

FYI - I also rebuilt the petcocks and they no longer leak.
    Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

If the gaskets are leaking then possibly the floats are set too high. Did you check them? What measurement did you get?

Comment

I set them to 25mm including the gaskets as was suggested in a recent thread. After I put them back in the bike I saw somewhere else that it should be 1.012 inches, which would result in a slightly lower level.

In one of the tech tips I saw a picture of a set-up using a lawn mower gas tank and clear tubing from the float drain. Using that set-up, where should the level of the gas be - above or below the top of the float bowl?
      Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

I believe you are supposed to remove the gaskets before measuring. If you have the gaskets in place, the floats will sit lower in the bowl allowing more fuel in the bowls.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

When the floats are set lower than the fuel level in the bowl will also be lower.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

The floats should be adjusted/checked with the gaskets removed.
            (according to the Clymers manuel ) As far as the bowl bolts/screws, I did the carbs on a Honda and the screws were all buggered up. I took in 1 old screw to match up the threads and replaced the old screws with allen head bolts. They look good. probably would've looked better with stainless bolts. I got them at Ace hardware.
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Your floats are probably set okay, but there could still be a problem with your float valves. There could be a bit dirt holding one or more of them open. More likely, the o-rings around the body are shot so even with the needle seating properly, gas is still getting past the body and continuing to overfill the bowls.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Well, I was able to tighten the bowl screws without removing the carbs by using a short phillips bit in a 1/4 inch socket. It was tight, but it beats pulling the carbs again. No sign of leakage overnight, so I think I solved the problem.

I think I set the floats a little high, but the bike is running well. I will pull the lower air box to make sure no fuel is flowing even when the petcocks are on prime.

The whole float measurement thing is a little tricky to communicate - since you measure with the carbs upside down, the larger the measurement from the float to the carb body, the lower the fuel level will be. I'm not sure what terminology everypone else uses, but whe I say I set the floats high, I mean the fuel level is high and the measurement from the carb body to the top of the floats is short.
                Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Float Level

Do a plug reading/check in a couple of days. That is your best indicator as to whether you are too rich/too lean/just right. What ever the plugs read you will be able determine your next move.
                  Every bank of carbs is just a little different in the way they perform. Every rider puts different inputs to his bike. All of the variables give you the final result.
                  Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
                  X