Starting without key - hot wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting without key - hot wire?

I found and XS11 to buy. It doesn't have a key. I want to see if it will start or wht it sounds like as it rolls over.

Where would I jump power to and across what terminals to get the bike to roll over with battery power?

Thanks

Jump battery positive to the MAIN and IGN circuits and then you should have joy.

Comment

You will need to remove the headlight, and locate a 3 wire connector that has a red, brown and blue wire. That is the connector for the ignition switch. Unplug it and jump across the red and brown ( the blue wire powers up the lights) wires in the harness, not the wires leading to the switch, but I know that you already know that. That should power up the bike. Then just use the starter button. You may want to remove the spark plugs to initially turn the engine over, and reduce the load on the battery. If the battery is dead, a set of jumper cables can be made from 10 gauge wire with large clips on the ends. Connect it to your car battery, but leave the engine off. I know I'm going to jumped on about the jumper cables, but I have been doing that for many years, and I have had no negative results. (No pun intended) I usually connect the positive cable to the battery side of the starter solenoid, instead of to the battery. Seat removal is not necessary when doing it this way. The negative can connected to any bolt head that is attached to the frame. You can even attach to the rear footpeg / muffler mounting brackets.

Comment

John,

No reason to get 'jumped' on about the jumpers, that's a perfectly acceptable way to jump start a bike. I also have been doing it that way since....well, I'd rather not say

Comment

You're right Randy, but some guys here think that just because a car battery can supply over 700 amps of CCA that it will fry a bike's electrical system. The bike will only use what it needs, and no more. 10 gauge wire will carry enough current to start a bike with out XSive heat build up, and they can be easily coiled up for carrying in a bike pack.

Comment

Well, those are the guys that don't have a grasp of electrical theory.

Comment

I always thought that electricity worked on the F M theory ( F'n Magic), and that wires contain smoke. That's because everytime I let the smoke out, the wires don't work anymore.

Comment

Or,

As Curly said to Moe:

"Hey, Moe, no wonder there's no water in this pipe, there's wires in it!"

Comment

Out at the Helicopter factory we used to call those mystical events. PFM... only a slightly variation of John's. P being "Pure"
                  Dan
                  Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
                  81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

What a coincidends. I'm taking a coarse through my work dealing with the cable/broadband/telecommunications stuff I work with and low and behold, I've made it to the point in this coarse partaining to electricity, how it's made, measured, and the difference that metals play in conductivity. Now if I could just learn how to spell and do math I may just pass this coarse. Now that I've dazzled everyone with brilliance,
                    A ten gauge wire is plenty to jump a bike and is perfect for the back pocket.I jump bikes all the time using a cage but I always make sure that the engine is off. That cage battery's got more then enough juice to crank a bike motor.
                    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                    1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

"Hey, Moe, no wonder there's no water in this pipe, there's wires in it!"
                      Hehehehehe...

Thanks for the hep!

Comment

smoke makes a lot of thing work!

Back when I was working my way through college as a computer tech, we had a guy bring in one for service. He told us he finally figured out what makes 'em work...smoke, because when the smoke came out, it quit working!

So Maximan, did you get it started?
                        Scott

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
                        X