Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inlet rubbers

Hi ,

Anyone had any probs with pattern part ,inlets cracking??
    want to change mine as they look tatty ,just wondered what life expectancy (before the cracks start ) pattern ones give you??
    also are they a real swine to change with stock air box ??
    Last edited by gaffer77; 04-13-2005, 12:20 AM.
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

If you have an XS11 it's not bad. There's plenty of room between carbs and boots on both sides. An XJ11 is a little tuffer. Yammy changed the air intake box and there isn't near the room.

The aftermarket boots I've used are really quite good. No complaints. However I've changed a lot of these boots and only once did I find a crack that went through. Odds are yours are mechanically sound. To find out ...spray a little starting fluid or WD40 on the cracks while the bike is running. If the idle changes...they're cracked through. If not they're fine. Just be careful not to start a fire with the starting fluid.

I've changed mine for aesthetics pure before. Couldn't stand the look of the nasty cracks.

Comment

Thanx Maximan hear so many stories about the cracks leaking,one person told me they have metal inserts inside so could never leak he said he cut it up with a saw to find that out.

I can't stand the look of them all cracked up mine are some of the worst i have seen ,just looks bad really

i've got a pattern set off ebay ,had em about a year now

sometimes with the thought of a broken stud or hours of toil trying to fit things feel if it ain't broke don't fix it!!Then something takes over you and you find yourself doing it anyway,so thought i'd get some info first before any hassles start!!!

Then i thought if i put em on and they crack rapidly i'd be gutted, hope to get about 5 years without them perishing again

Comment

The carb mounts can be repaired by coating them with a product called Plasti Dip. It is a rubberized product designed to coat tool handles. It will flow over the boots and then harden to cover the ugly cracks. I replaced mine about 13 years ago, and they have cracked again, but as long as there is no vacuum leak, I'm not going to worry about them.

Comment

Hi John any links for the plasti dip??

mine are just annoying me they are that bad!!everytime i go to change them i end up needing the bike for something so don't want to risk having it laid up if something goes wrong

or i just end up with no time to do it!!

that coating sounds perfect!!!!!!

Comment

Here is a link to their web site. I don't know if it is available in the UK or not.
            http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

Comment

thanx i work for Fedral Mogul so will see what i can get,

just wanted to know what i was looking for thanx John

Comment

I've changed several boots, I have an xs 11, never had any problem changing them, to me it seemed very simple. Later 'Dog

Comment

I have used plasti dip (spray can) or yamabond #5 to coat my 26 year old intake manifolds. I get a nice smooth surface that covers all the cracks and makes them look new, but only lasts a few years before the cracks are noticeable again. Have had better luck using yamabond #5. My manifolds do leak and last week about half way through a 300 mile venture my plasti dip covered manifolds started leaking through some cracks. Bike ran terrible for the last 70+ miles. Re-gooped 'em with yamabond #5, bike runs fine, new manifolds on ordered.
                  Do'Lee
                  XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                  (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                  (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                  (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                  SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Working...
                  X