Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just what the heck is this strange wire!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what the heck is this strange wire!?!

Hey guys was messing with the beast today and was in the process of putting in a battery when i came across what seemed to be a "loose" wire near the battery box. this wire was blue and connected to another blue wire with a soldered type connection? it looked like a small fuse a small ball inside of the plastic protector. but anyway this blue wire went further and ended as this small red plastic tubular shape thing with what appeared to be a soft metal end piece that stuck out from the end of the red plastic thing. this metal piece that was sticking out looked like it had some corrosion like from battery acid or something . it wasnt connected to anything at that point. The bike started up fine no problems so any help would be great.

I hear that OEM batteries had some type of connection for the main pannel where the warning lights are. thanks again

That's the battery sensor. It goes down in the battery and senses fluid level. If it's low or the sensor is OUT then you'll get a BATT warning on your LCD pilot box.
    Most new batteries for the XJ come with a sensor. If not you can bypass it by soldering a 2000 ohm resistor in the line. Procedure is outlined in the tips and maintanence section of this site.

Comment

I guess the battery that i have doesnt have the hole for the sensor. is there any harm in not having it connected?

thanks

Comment

no harm

nothing bad just that annoying flashing batt light on the dash flashing telling you theres a prob. I think it was Jerry that posted a fix for the light. I've done that fix and it works great. Try a search or maybe Jerry or someone knows XSactly were it is.sorry i didn't read above post very good look in tips section
        Last edited by chevy45412001; 04-12-2005, 08:42 AM.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Link to bypass battery sensor on the XJ is at:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcycle/Connect/
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.