MikesXS orders from Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikesXS orders from Canada

Hey, has anyone in Canada ordered from MikesXS? What was the S&H and customs hit? Thanks.
    '80 SG
    '79F engine

I have orderd several times from Mikes XS, havent paid any importation taxes yet. Shipping is free to Canada for orders over 35$

Comment

Mikes XS

I have ordered from Mikes 3 times as least. Good experience. No problems or surprises from customs or Canada Post.
      I was even dissatisfied with the individual air filters I got from Mike. A couple of E-mails explaining my problem/dissatisfaction and Mike OKed their return and I got my $ back.
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Ken, what was the problem with the filters? I was thinking of getting a set of those.
        '80 SG
        '79F engine

Comment

Individual Air Filters

Hawkens, the ones MIke sells are the ones with a very large rubber shoulder where they couple up to the carb air horn. The inside diameter of this shoulder is smaller than the air horn. At high engine speed the filter acts like a choke partially on blocking the air intake and causing the carb to go away rich. Lots of black smoke/power falls away off/engine starts to stumble. Drop your engine speed and the thing works fine but won't tolerate high engine speed.
          Another problem with this large shoulder is that it blocks off several air openings spread around the outer lip of the air horn on the carb that cause's some imbalance through various circuits within the carb.
          The individual air filters that Mike sells do not work on an XS1100.
          I have bought 2 sets of shocks, carb floats, carb jets etc off Mike. All worked on an XS but not the air filters.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

This has been discussed on the 650 forums as well. They behave the same. IIRC, the fix is extension tubes between the filters and carbs. I'd expect it to be the same on the XS1100.

Airbox works for me.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Thanks guys
              '80 SG
              '79F engine

Comment

Hey Hawkins,

I did a search on here, and found some conflicting info!

First, around Feb, DennyZ answered that the OD of the intake bells were 52mm, however I just went out with my calipers and measured my 81'SH, and a set of 78-79 carbs and both were 54mm!! Another post said that a set of pod filters rated at 54mm would fit the 80-82XS and XJ's! I know the 78-79 carbs I have are that circa because of the extra bowl vent tubes/holes in the sides of the bodies!

Then, there were several people who had gotten EMGO filters and they worked just fine. Ratbyk talked about the trouble he had with filters from MikesXS, but they aren't labelled EMGO or not, just generic K&N "type"!? There were some folks who had gotten some Pod filters that DID obstruct the air intakes, and caused the high RPM problem, as best as I can remember, but I can't recall what brand they were?

I got a set of the cylinder shaped UNIFILTER ones, and they worked just fine, but aren't as pretty as the tapered design!

Looks like we need some more input from others who have gotten Indy pod filters, and what brands they were, and whether they had the high rpm troubles or not, then "we" can make a tech tip on Pod Filters, what brands, sizes, styles to get!!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Filters

I think Mike Hart had the longest thread ever on this subject about 3 years ago. It surpassed both oil and tire threads. Somewhere around 130 replies/answers/questions/comments.
                  Ken/Sooke

Comment

A list of available filters and some feed back on how well they worked on the XS11 and price would help. Local shop here wants CAD $70 each for K&N indies. MikesXS wants USD$12 for his, but they don't work. Somewhere in between is a reasonably priced set filters that work.
                    '80 SG
                    '79F engine

Comment

Working...
                    X