Carbs...Can other carbs be used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs...Can other carbs be used?

I was asked by a member to ask this question on the xs1100 site...I thought it was a good idea...Here it goes...I have a 1980 xs1100 and would like to now if carb banks from another bike can be used?...From a midnight special or so forth?...Another question is a xs1100f, xs1100sg, xs1100h what is there difference?...I would amagine there is no differents in carbs?...Also have another question...are air filters a better way to go rather than a air box?...Reason...I bought finally a set of carbs off 80 xs1100 and wondering if i should go to filters...I just sent out money order on friday and hope to have the carbs in a few weeks...its time for moma and me to go riding...i'm thinking of putting new wires in old coils...its in my mind...lol...Looking forward to replys...Have a good one...Chow

Hey there Tazcu,

Check out this link, Carbs, maintanence, tech tips threads

You'll find lots of info there. There ARE DIFFERENCES between the early years 78-79(E & F) and the later years 80-81(G & H), and even between Standards and Specials in the same years, in the jet sizes!

But, to answer your question, yes you can use the other carbs on just about any model XS11, but depending on what year series carbs you have acquired determines which jets you need to use on your specific bike. I didn't check your profile before posting, so I don't know if you have a standard or special, and you weren't specific about bank of carbs you got, were they from a standard or special??

Indy filters is a matter of taste, and convenience, it make it easier to remove and reinstall the carbs if you run Indys, but folks talk about how much louder the intake noise is vs. the stock box. You will also need to change your jets due to leaning out of the engine due to better breathing!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Carbs...Can other carbs be used?

Look for the tech tips on that one. I have done it to two. Make sure that you seal them tight and secure the wires good, or you will have bad running in the rain! Be careful with the dremmel tool when cutting the shell of the coil, because it will throw molten plastic in your face...maybe I should have held the dremmel in my left hand. Are dremmel tools designed by a south-paw?

Originally posted by tazcu
      i'm thinking of putting new wires in old coils...its in my mind...lol...Looking forward to replys...Have a good one...Chow
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X