Make-a-gasket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make-a-gasket???

I know this is an old question on here, ive seen it posted but thought i could get some new info. installing a new clutch on my 80 xs special and wandering when i finish with it and get ready to reinstall the cover can i get a new gasket cheap with out buying an entire engine gasket set or does any make-a-gasket work? I bought some hi-temp stuff but before i finished and slapped it on i thought it might be smart to ask first.
    i appreciate any info you guys got. Thanx
    SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Clutch cover gasket? If it didn't tear it up...like just broke it in one place...use the old gasket and put it back together with RTV silcone. I've done it numerous times and it holds.

However...if you ruined the gasket...Yamabond (available at the Yamaha dealer) makes a perfectly good seal between two clean ...machined surfaced (ie clutch basket to engine housing cover).

You should be able to order just the clutch cover gasket should push come to shove.

Comment

thanx the gasket isnt in bad shape (torn in 1 spot) but allways heard to replace if you can. so you think if i just put some RTV on it, it should be fine. thanx
      and sorry about my red neck lingo, im still learnin
      SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Comment

Re: Make-a-gasket???

Those are difficult to keep intact. Denny once told me that you can squeeze a thin bead of RTV for the entire mating surface, without any gasket. I did that years ago and it is still sealing fine. If I had a good gasket, I would prefer it, however. Certainly, you could repair a broken spot in a gasket with it.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Do not use RTV on the engine. It breaks down in oil over time.

If you need to seal a damaged spot on the cases or patch together a gasket, use Yamabond #5. It's also fantastic for repairing carb diaphragms.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

concerning clutch cover gaskets;

This doesn't concern the xs, but some of us have other bikes we toy with. Put new clutch plates in an old Suzuki at the shop last week. Old gasket came apart in chunks, the kid didn't have a lot of cash, so I just sealed the cover with "The Right Stuff" (I swear by it).
            Anyway, the old gasket was rather thick, but this didn't sink in at the time. Bike wouldn't shift when I was done with it. The shift shaft was binding.

(The clutch cover is what stops the shaft from sliding out the right side of the case.) The THICK gasket is what provides a few millimeters of clearance between the end of the shaft and the case. Without that clearance, she binds up.
            Again, isn't a prob with our machines. Just thought I'd pass along another of my mistakes... err... I mean... learning experiences!
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
            X