Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light issue

Good day all

Out for a ride today and I had to come back because my oil light kept coming on. (Oil level is at the top line). This happened last year so I changed the oil sensor light and used 10W 30 oil. But it's acting up again. The strange thing is that the light does not come on strong. It kinda of comes on faint, then grows stronger, then fades away, come back on again and etc. The oil light seems to come on stronger the faster the bike goes.

I re-shimed the bike prior to riding this year and noticed that the oil would flow when I turned the bike over by hand.

I'm stumped any suggestions?

Teck
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

What the temp like in Alberta now? Less than 50 F (10 C) and it could still be oil viscocity.

I had Zilla doing this last fall at 50 and less. So I went from 20w-50 to 10w-40. It would still flicker occasionally under hard acceleration. So I dropped down to Valvoline 5w-30. It never flickered again during the cold.

However as soon as the temp got back to 60 F and higher (15 C) I went back to the heavy stuff.

Comment

More often than not the problem is the oil pressure sensor. You might consider temporarily installing an oil pressure gauge in the hole where the sensor goes and see if there really is a problem.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Oil light

Check all the eletrical and pulled the sensor and cleaned it. so far so good the light stopped coming on.

Thanks for listening
        Tim Lowe
        "Teck"
        1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Working...
        X