dimmer relay energized!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimmer relay energized!?!?

For some reason the dimmer relay is energized on my 78 standard even with the ignition off and key out of the bike.

Troubleshooting summary:
    with relay connected you can hear it click if you touch the negative cable to the battery.
    with relay in and everything turned off there is 2.4V across the main fuse,
    take the relay out no more draw across the fuse
    I removed the right hand handler bar switch, the 78 has a light on/off switch on it. but still getting a draw
    tried the relay from my 79 on the 78, same problem, tried the 78 relay on the 79 no clicking.

So.. I have a short the is energizing the relay even with the bike off. Any ideas suggestions?

so much for a nice spring ride in Michigan today!

javascript:smilie('')
    frown
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

The 78 has on on/off switch at the grip. If the bike has not been started, with the key on, you should be able to switch the HL on and off, but once she is running, the headlight relay is "latched" on even with the switch at the grip off. With the key off, there should be no power to the relay (as I understand it). Check your grip switch.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Possibility . . . there is a latching relay that is powered by a feed from the alternator . . . basically so it knows the engine is running . . .

Leaking through the voltage regulator back into the alternator? Field coils shot in the alternator? Ignition switch pronged (technical term) and not really cutting all the power? (there are multiple switched circuits in there), not turning the key to the correct "off" position? (the 80 sg has a "park" position that is annoyingly easy to accidently leave it in and it keeps the rear taillight lit . . .

Something like that.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

thanks guys,
        looks like I have partially "rectified" the problem. The rectifier failed that coil test in the clymers, swapped the regulator/rectifier from the 79 onto the 78 and the problem moved from the 78 to the 79. So... I have to put a bunch of pieces back together and at the end of the day I will be ready to synch the carbs, which is the job that I wanted to do at noon today. Plus I need to get a rectifier.
        Scott
        I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
        X