weird brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird brake question

OK so I am on my way to buy some brake fluid to re-build the front master cylinder. The rebuild kit came yesterday. This is the problem. They have plenty of pressure but you have to bring the lever all the way back to the grip. I have tried to bleed, spooge hole clean etc. It is like the piston is way up inside the master cylinder and it is not coming back far enough to meet the screw on the brake lever (yes, screw is all the way out.)

So this morning I get on the bike to go get some fluid to start my rebuild/clean/bleed and the brakes are working perfectly. The lever is all the way out, and making contact with the piston. It is like something was not allowing the piston to come all the way back, and now it is?

I am scared to take them apart now b/c they ware working TOO well. With the SS brake lines I felt like they were tight and new.

Any thoughts?
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Travis,

It's probably the gunk in the bore freezing up the piston. You should re-build it or one day, you may have no brakes.

Before you proceed, get a hold of a pair of LONG snap ring pliers.

Comment

I have some. Thanks for the tip, but I found out last time I had them apart.
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

I agree with Randy. Also,, you might want to invest in a gremlin bell to keep those pesky gremlins off and out of your bike.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X