Petcock gaskets and washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock gaskets and washers

has any one ever used a gas proof gaskets goo for petcocks instead of the oval o-ring and washer plates? If so, how'd it work out?
    JC
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

I have used RTV sealant with success. Both surfaces must be absolutely spotless to ensure a seal. As well as scrapping suggest cleaning with brake cleaning spray or alcohol. There can be no trace of oil on the sealing surfaces or the RTV will not do it's job.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Re: Petcock gaskets and washers

No, but I have used a big Oring around the perimeter groove and fiber washers with flanged-bolts to stop leaks along the bolts. If you go that route, do no use metal washers also, or it will leak.

Originally posted by 81xsproject
      has any one ever used a gas proof gaskets goo for petcocks instead of the oval o-ring and washer plates? If so, how'd it work out?
      JC
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I, too, used a standard O-ring from the hardware store, it easily molded to the oval shape. I used rubber washers on the bolts instead of felt washers. No leaks in 4 years!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I got some clear washers, pretty sure they are nylon, from my local Home Depot to put on the bolts before installing the petcocks. 2 years and no leaks yet.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
          X