weird starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird starting problem

Yesterday as I was getting ready to leave the mechanics shop, I start my bike,no problem, go to raise kickstand and it immediatly dies. Push start button, nothing. push it alittle, still nothing.OK, get out kick start, boom starts up, put it in 1st, it dies, what the *^@! do it again, same problem, now what.
    Mechanic bypasses starter and it starts, go to raise kickstand, it dies. We do this a few times and it keeps dieing. Take off gas tank and going to take off kill swiitch, do that and then start it, everything is fine. We put kill switch back on and everything is OK again. Rode home had no problems. Strange

Imight add that the reason we messed with the kill switch was that every time we straighten the bike up was when it would die.
    Has anyone else had this sort of problem and ifso what did you do to correct it. as I'm not sure what we did was right, luck or my bike is just weird.
    Mike

Has yours got a side-stand switch? I do not remember which models had them, but it is supposed to kill/not let you start the bike if the stand is down and the bike is in gear. Could be mal-functioning. Common problem on the bikes so equipped.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I'm not sure if I have a side stand switch.
      My bike is a 79 1100 special.
      I have a Clymer repair manual but it makesno mention of that switch.
      At the moment I'm somewhat lost, but as I said it seems to be OK at this time. I'm going to take it out tonight aftewr work and give it a good run on the highway and city to see how it is.
      I will be taking my cell with me thou,LOL
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by chicago1010
        I'm not sure if I have a side stand switch.
        My bike is a 79 1100 special.
        I have a Clymer repair manual but it makesno mention of that switch.
        At the moment I'm somewhat lost, but as I said it seems to be OK at this time. I'm going to take it out tonight aftewr work and give it a good run on the highway and city to see how it is.
        I will be taking my cell with me thou,LOL
        Mike
        Hey there Mike,
        There is another switch, called the Emergency Shutoff which is designed to kill the bike if it attains a lean angle of 60 degrees or more, like if you lay it over. It is under the tank, towards the rear side of the larger crossbar from the fork tree just behind the rubber tank mounts, moderate sized block supposed to be rubber mounted to that frame crossbar. It could be loose, faulty? You could probably bypass it. I think the kickstand switches came in 82 with the Maxims, my 81SH doesn't have one. H.T.H.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Neither of my 79 specials have kick stand switches..
          jeff "Wags"
          Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
          79sf rusty
          79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Working...
          X