Carb float adjusting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb float adjusting.

Heyall... Great site. I am a new owner of a 79 xs11 special. I owned a 650 speacial years ago. As you probably guessed I am new to the site. I have been reading and learning alot here. Although one thing I can't find is when adjusting the float level do you measure the distance when the float is resting on the valve spring, or at the point where the valve is first closed (which would mean holding the float a bit). Also when using the clear tube method what level am I looking for. Thanks in advance for any info. I bought the bike from someone who modified with seperate filters, 4 to 1 pipe and supposedly bored the cylinders, rejetted with I think a 142.5 main and the others I don't know. Just trying to start at a beginning, and the floats were definately not consistent. Thanks.
    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
    80 xs11sg
    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Invert the carb. Measure from the float bowl gasket to the top edge of the float (both sides). Most of us start with 25mm and adjust up or down from there over time dependent on our own individual carbs/operating conditions after "Reading" the plugs.
    Do not depress the little "cushion" spring. Just let the weight of the float settle on the needle.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Don't forget also, check the float woth the gasket removed.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I keep reading the posts... Man what an active site. I can't wait to get this thing running right. Thanks for being helpful guys.
        "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
        79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
        80 xs11sg
        81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
        X