headlight modulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight modulators

A while back, there was a thread about headlight modulators. In one of the posts, it was mentioned that the headlight reserve unit might not allow the modulator to work properly.
    Has anyone installed one of these on an XS11?
    Any results to report?

TIA
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Actually I think the reserve unit has the light going from Hi to Low instead of Off and On.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have a modulator on mine, but I honestly cant remember if I had to disable the reserve unit for it to work. I don't think I did. I think modulators are an excellent safety device. I can tell folks see me better. Many times they even move out of the left lane for me. I am sure some think I might be an emergency vehicle or moto cop, but whatever the reason, it beats passing em on the right.
      Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Ok. So I bought a modulator, new, in package, on eBay.
        It took 5 minutes to install. No cutting or splicing, just plug and go.

The default is set to modulate the high beam. Switch back to low beam and it stops. Near dark it stops. Pretty cool littly gadget.

One thing that I hadn't anticipated though, is that when it modulates the high beam, it is also flashing the headlight warning lamp on the gauge cluster. I don't see that as a problem though. I can just look at it as a reminder that it is working, I guess.

Local parts shop wants $95. There is a guy on eBay selling for $49.99 as a "buy it now", and he pays the shipping.
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

I believe that a trick mentioned here was to put a flasher in the low-beam circuit.
          The reserve lighting device will turn the high beam on when the flasher turns the low beam off. When you switch to high beam, it stays on steady.
          Low beam in the daytime, high beam at night.
          '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
          '66 Thunderbird

Comment

Cool, I will check that out.
            Thanks
            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

???

Did this really work?
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
              X