My favorite (unpublished) tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite (unpublished) tips

Over the last few years I've saved dozens of great tips from the various XS11 lists and other sources. I know many other XSives have done the same. So, I thought a "Favorite Tips" thread would be a great place for everyone to post their favorites. Let the posting begin!

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Alternative Horn and Starter Buttons

Veteran XSive, Rick Jemison, posted this information early last year.
    I have researched the horn button thing a bit now and have come up with a Honda alternative.

Model: 1977 Honda 750
    Part# 35317-001-310

The following are dimensional differences:

Dimension.............. Tkat Button ......... Honda Button
    Total height........... 0.362" .............. 0.333"
    Base to end of actuator on back
    ....................... 0.060" .............. 0.161"
    Lip OD - holds button from the back of the housing
    ....................... 0.431" .............. 0.423"
    Button OD.............. 0.348" .............. 0.300"

The main dimensions would appear to be top to bottom dist and button OD. The base to end of actuator on back is "adjustable" On the Honda unit this is a 0.070" brass rod which can be filed to adjust length.

Units are plastic and mine cost $2.65 each. They are available and were in stock at Dryer Honda, Indianapolis.

If anyone sees another button that might fit the XS, please post the information.
    Note: On 7/29/02 I checked the part number at Ron Ayers Motorsports. They listed it for $1.63! (BK)

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Carmine red (1979 Special)

Early last year, XSive Tom Dickerson posted this information about a formula for Carmine Red, which was a factory color for the US and Canadian 1979 XS1100 Specials.
      A Ditzler paint dealer has the formula to mix carmine red for your Yamaha. Here is all of the info from a can of acrylic lacquer that I purchased last year.

DDL72 781-D Carmine Red E9

Ditzler also has a book that contains a list of colors for older bikes.
      Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

I have a little tip to deal with gas in the air cleaner on the standards. Tap the float bowls' gently with a hammer to get the float to unstick. Drain air cleaner,check oil,etc. Works while on the road and until you get a chance to fix it for good.

Comment

Working...
        X