Sorry, another oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, another oil question

Seems that all the new high mileage oils (which I do use in my truck) are Not energy conserving, which from reading thru the threads is more or less the biggest consideration. Does anyone have any thoughts on these high mileage oils as opposed to regular Castrol being good for our bikes. I have 34k on the odometer. About to do my first oil change. Thanks a lot
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

My own opinion is that anything in the proper viscosity is fine. Just keep it changed. I've put lots of different kinds of oil in my bikes with no ill effects that I'm aware of.

I believe you're falling for slick marketing. Unless you go to synthetic, there isn't much difference. I'm not even sure synthetic is worth the added expense, although I've used it plenty.

The above is strictly opinion and may be of no real value!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The only thing I've heard about "energy conserving" oil is they have friction modifiers that may cause the clutch to slip. That's strictly rumor.

However, I called my jobber the other day and asked him what the difference was between the twain and he indicated it had something to do with the viscosity. Enrgy conserving oils tend to be thinner oils whereas the "high mileage" oils tend to be thicker.

Who knows. Like it was said earlier...chnaging it is the most important.

Comment

I don't know dudes,

I put synthetic in mine and here is what happened in 700 miles:

1.5 quarts just "poof" disappeared. I had no consumption problems before.

The cam chain tensioner started spewing oil.

The main drain plug started dripping.

The filter housing became "wet"

The valve cover gasket area became "wet"

The filter housing nut started dripping. No....I meticulously checked the main and filter nuts, and both were torqued to the proper specs.

The clutch started slipping badly.

The bike is in the final stages of a restoration now, so I haven't ridden much this winter, though I have had a few test spins since I drained the syn (sin) and replaced it with dino 10-40. I got on it pretty hard once though, and the clutch didn't slip, so I have my fingers crossed. I sure as hell hope I didn't toast it by running the over-priced witches brew!! After the test runs the wet areas are no longer wet, so I am optimitic. I am going to change it again before I really start riding just to rinse all of the evil juice out of there. Syns may have a place, but I am danged sure it is NOT in a 26 year old XS-11 Special, at least not one named "The Breeze".

Keith
        They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

I had some of the same problems with mine when I tried to use semi-synthetic. The clutch was slipping badly and several leaks developed. I readjusted the clutch and changed to oil back to normal oil and it all turned out ok, I have re-ran it at the dragstrip and clicked off consistant 12.7's last Saturday. I would never recommend synthetic oil to any XS'rs......

Comment

I plan to stay away from any synthetics but my question is about the high mileage oils that all the companies seem to have out now. Any advantages or disadvantages?
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OILS in a older bike that has never used it, because it will leak from every seal and seem in it. If you used synthetic from new then it is OK.

Now to answer the question: the so called higher milage oils have a solvent that softens up the valve seals, and such to make the engine seem to be using less oil etc. I am not sure how an XS will react to this.

If you want to use a good quaility convetional oil use: Mobil Delvac 1300 or Shell Rotella both are fleet oils that come in the proper 15W-40 weight. They are cheap too, gallon bottles are $5-$6.00 at Wal-Mart. I have used it, and it is highly recommended on the Suzuki Bandit list, rated for wet clutches, it is just plain good oil.

If you want to use a good Quality semi-Sythetic, Then try Castrol Syntec Blend

I have used this (and still do in my Bandit) since the first day I had my XS - it had 60K miles on it when i bought it and 90K miles when i sold it. For $2.50 a quart, it is great oil. Comes in 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50.

There.....now forget all the expensive fancy crap and put oil worries behind you .

Also do a seach for Castrol and you will find all kinds of oil info here.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I've never had a bike leak from using synths. Maxine (1982 XJ750 with 20,000) never leaked.

Zilla - '82 XJ11 never leaked. It only had 5800 miles when I bought it but I've been running Mobil 1 in it for about 6,000 miles and it hasn't leaked. No clutch slip either.

My '87 Eliminator ...I run RP 10w-40 synthetic. No leaks so far and definitely no clutch slippage. Of course I haven't put many miles on it but certainly enough to see leaks or slips...(about 1000 miles).

However if that changes I will be the first to come back here and post saying so...
                Last edited by MAXIMAN; 04-02-2005, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Found a couple of interesting oil/filter links to add to the controversy.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ lots of ifo here. find the oil and filter sections on left menu

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/fram.shtml

TC - still not sure if I'm doing the adapter yet!
                  Dean
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my engines, besides the Briggs&Stratton types, with no problems.

It is very handy when I need to add some oil. There is only one spare canister needed in my carage.

-M
                    ---
                    Marko
                    '81 SH

Comment

Working...
                    X