getting the seat off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting the seat off

I'm having a hard time getting my seat off my 1979 Yamaha 1100 special I've only had the bike for a year so I haven't had to do it yet and now that i need to I can't,,, any help would be greatly appreciated

Towards the rear of the seat, underneath, and tucked away behind the grab rail are two long 14mm nuts. They are the only ones there. Loosen them, and slide them forward. Then lift the rear of the seat up, and slide it to the rear.

Comment

You have had your seat on an XS11 for a year? The proper procedure is to stop the bike, use your left foot to deploy the kick stand. Now gently set the weight of the bike on to the kick stand. Your seat is feeling lighter already, no? Now gently lift your seat up, it been a year so do this gently. Okay now.....swing you right foot over and wa-la your seat is off the XS11.

Oh crap you meant the bike seat? Umm do what John said.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

To elaborate a bit on what John said, those 14 mm nuts on each side hang vertically on sliding studs attached to the seat. The studs fit into a slot on the frame. When tightened, the nuts draw the seat downward, snugging it onto the bracket.

So, when you unscrew the nuts, the seat becomes loose, but you cannot pull it off until you slide the nuts and (studs) forward, out of the slots in the frame bracket. It helps to press down on the seat, to make them easier to slide.

Once you get the seat off, STOP!! Don’t do anything until you have read about the procedure you are attempting in a manual. Or, perform a search in this forum, and read all about it here.

You will avoid costly mistakes, and save lots of time and money if you understand the details and ramifications of the work before using “trial and error”.

Manuals are usually available on E-Bay, sell for around $20. Look under E-Bay Motors > parts & accessories, > manuals & literature, > motorcycle, > Yamaha XS.

New ones are available many other places, too. Check these.

http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1980/69/7/3025

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Misc/...r/YamFours.html

And if a procedure isn’t explained thoroughly enough in a manual, there are plenty of members here who can clarify.

Good luck with your “new” SF!
        Rick
        '80 SG
        '88 FXR
        '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Well, if you haven't had the seat off in a year of ownership, then you'll probably need to think about getting a new battery as well, cause it's probably already dried up and fried!? Kinda hard to get the battery post nuts loose from the side, but I guess it can be done, but it's much easier with a screwdriver from above! Hope you knew to check the water levels in the battery!?

But, Welcome to the Forum anyways, lots to learn here as you can see!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"Getting the seat off".....

sounds like a "Plus2" topic
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
            X