Ever break a brake rotor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever break a brake rotor??

Today,I took my first ride in about 5 months. I had just re-built everything in the front brake system.
    I rode to work and everything seemed fine. On the way home, I realized that everytime that I rolled to a stop, I heard what sounded like someone pounding nails with a hammer.
    The first several times, I actually looked to my right, to look for the construction site. DUH
    I heard it again, as I pulled into my driveway, and it seemed like I MIGHT be able to feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal.

After I dismounted, I took a look at the rear brake system, thinking that maybe something loose. I immediately saw 2 good sized cracks in the rear rotor!! It is a slotted rotor. One of the slots is now connected to the center of the rotor, where it bolts to the wheel, and also to the outer edge.

Any idea as to the cause?
    It didn't get hot, It never was dropped. It DID spend the winter outside, under a cover, but I don't see that as being a cause.

??????
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

I have a slotted rotor that is cracked the same, from the end of the slot to the outside edge. It looks like a weak spot in the design to me.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ahhhh, but more importantly, do you have another good one?

I sold all of my good slotted rotors.
      I am pretty religious about keeping the pads fresh, so I knew that I was unlikely to ever wear-out one of my rotors.
      If I knew that I might actually BREAK one, I would have kept a back-up, and denied someone else.
      Grrrrrrrrrrr.
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

xj rear rotor

i got a slotted off a XJ set your price if interested.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Cool Chevy. I just struck a deal with Dave, in the classified section.
          If for any reason, that doesn't work-out, I will let you know.

I can not imagine keeping these neat old bikes on the road without being able to connect with so many like-minded people.
          This site rocks!!
          Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Mike;
            I've still got one spare solid that I bought from you.
            I've drilled the rotors on my bike, and I can drill this one for you. Let me know, and I'll try to get it done. As I work in San Jose, I can drop it off easily.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have been lurking and reading for a couple of months. I decided I needed to register so I can begin participating. Bought my first XS1100 (1980 SG) A few months ago. I discovered a couple of days ago that my rear rotor has a crack exactly as Pat described. So...The search begins. Chevy or Ray, let me know if you still have one available and how much $. Thanks
              Scott

1980 SG

Comment

Welcome to the site Scott! These folks know their stuff and are a huge help. There's a couple of wheels running through e-bay also.
                Don
                99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Scott;
                  I do have a rotor, but it's not the SG. It is a solid rotor off of a '79 standard. I got it from newmaac, and was going to offer it to him as way to get rolling again.
                  I still have not drilled that rotor, so I would need to put in an hour or so to get that done. If you don't have anything else, PM me and we can discuss shipping, etc.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X