No announcement yet.

Rough running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your still considering to sell let me know. I know someone looking.

Sidekick

Comment

Isn't it strange how some bikes just run and run with little effort, and others seem to need nursing all the time. I know machinery can be a fickle entity, but commonalities like carburettors ? You'd expect this be a problem across the board and not a constant thorn in the side to some owners and a non issue to others. I have used Seafoam over the years with mixed results, curiously, only on customers vehicles.(I have a car repair shop) I don't know of any good reason as to why I have never used it personally I will give it a try in the XS before I rip the carbs off this spring. Regarding the dislocation and sitting under a tarp issue, my old XS was parked in a locked front yard while I was recuperating and I misplaced the padlock key. It is not easy to hop over a four foot wall with one leg in a cast from ankle to waist. I had to wait untill the cast came off before I could grind the lock off the hasp. Too many thieves back in England. And what would be the point anyway ? Where the hell was I going ? Standing on one leg and revving the thing untill it was warmed through in the winter was a non issue since I'd soon use up the gas. The mere thought of peglegging it to the gas station crutches under each armpit and a jerry can flapping around like a demented wind chime might be funny to the casual by-stander but to me ? F**K that. Anyhoo, thanks for all the tips on getting the old beast moving again, now the friday night beer has worked it's way through my system and the sun is shining a bit I have renewed enthusiasm for the task in hand. Will post results when I get the stench of gas out of my clothes and skin. Regards to all, Chris.

Comment

Update on the XScruciating carbs

Just to let you know, I charged the battery and dropped the old fuel,also drained float bowls. Re-loaded with one gallon of fresh gas on top of 1/2 a pint of sea foam. Sucker started first time on full choke. going through the pipe temp procedure, I noticed number three was not warming up as fast as the others. This was accompanied by a slight "chuffing noise" occasionally from the right silencer, and an occasional puff from the air filter. Also, some light smoke from the right silencer. It's hard to be sure, but I think the oil has a slight fuel smell also. I figure maybe number three float valve may be sticking a little. After about fifteen minutes, she will run strong over 4,000 RPM, but if I let her idle, the revs slowly drop from a smooth 8/900 RPM's to a full stall after a few seconds. Also, she has to be coaxed to rev up when off the choke, but revs more freely on 1/2- full choke. Do you think number three might be causing the problem ? As always, your tips and insight are appreciated. Chris.

Comment

Re: Update on the XScruciating carbs

Chris, if you can, run the bike around, but not highway speeds. You need to continuously flush the pilot circuits with that stuff. I am guessing you need more than just a gallon of fuel mixed with cleaner to do that.

Originally posted by chrisr
          Just to let you know, I charged the battery and dropped the old fuel,also drained float bowls. Re-loaded with one gallon of fresh gas on top of 1/2 a pint of sea foam.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks. With the weather here in corruption city now getting better I will do just that and report in as to how it goes. Chris.

Comment

Just a thought

Skids and others, would a sticky float needle cause a similar symptom to a blocked pilot jet ? IE, allowing too much fuel flow for an idle, but would run better at higher RPM,s due to the higher fuel flow required ? I have tried to give the float bowl a couple of whacks with a hammer handle to no avail, but this might explain the whiff of fuel in the oil. Chris.

Comment

Hey Chris,

A stuck float needle valve can cause that carb to run too rich, flooding, which can affect the idle and off idle accel. Once you get to 4K or above you're opening up the butterflies, getting into the mains much more, and so the idle/pilot circuit isn't contributing as much. During the sticking the flooded carb could allow fuel into the cylinders, more so when you stop the engine, so it could then slide past the rings into the engine oil!?

I had a sticking needle during a rally in NC, it ran like a dog at low rpms, essentially I had to crank it to almost full throttle to get it to run, accelerate. Once it got unstuck, it ran just fine.
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Check for a vacuum leak. Had a bike today... One cylinder header cold, chuffing, and farting through the carb. Dummy me forgot to reconnect a vacuum hose.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                  X