xj shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj shock question

I saw some82 xj1100 shocks for sale and they look much shorter than the 81xs1100 shocks. I am wanting to lower my bike with shorter shocks anyway, could these be used? I believe the min is 11", how tall are these xj's?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

They are the right length. The same as an XS. I have a set on my 80 SG. But there are clearance issues with the helmet lock. You have to remove it in order to attach the hoses, but it can be remounted, BUT, you cannot latch the helmet lock after that. The hose is in the way. One option is to press out the lower mounting bushing on the shocks, swap them to the opposite side, and then you can route the hose to the rear of the shocks, and not towards the front. All XS/XJ shocks have different size mounting holes in the lower bushings.

Comment

so they are 12.75" too? The pic made them look REALLY short.
      thanx
      JC
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Ya know, I never measured them but the height on my bike didn't change when I installed them. I really never knew whatthe correct height is. The chassis on my bike has over 96k miles, and the original shocks were toast. That's why I changed them.

Comment

Stock length for all XS/XJ1100s is 12.5 inches long, eye-to-eye. Overall length from tip to tip is a bit longer. Some have put on shorter shocks to lower the bike, some longer for a softer ride (less preload needed) but you shouldn't go more than about an inch in either direction. Bottom mounts are different for left and right side, but the bushings are interchangeable and don't usually pose much of a problem.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
          X