Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Alert. Seafoam Question

Hi Guys,
    I have been checking this site out for a few days. Looks like a real good forum. I am a regular over at the triple forums. I do not have an XS11. Wish I did!! I do have an XS750. I see alot of you talking about Seafoam here. I just bought some but have not used it yet. I am wondering about using some in the crankcase with the oil. Do you just add some (following mixing directions) and let it stay in there untill the next oil change, or dump the oil pretty soon? I just changed my oil last week end.

Thanks, Ron
    Let's Roll
    1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Hey there Ront,

WELCOME to the group. YES, Seafoam is very good stuff, but I've only used it in my fuel. I checked the web site, and the info there isn't any better than what's on the can! It says it works instantly, and to add about 1 1/2 ounces to a quart of oil for in the engine. It works well to remove gum, varnish, frees sticky rings, cleans PCV valves. So.....with it cleaning this stuff so easily, it must be pretty strong, and I'd be concerned about running it in the engine for too long, or under any kind of loads.

You didn't mention WHY you want to add it to your oil, what problems are you having with the bike/triple?? Rough idling, poor throttle response, etc., should be helped by just adding to gas, to clean idle circuits and carb passages.

Perhaps Chevy, Jeff, and others who use it have used it in the oil and can chime in on whether it's safe to leave it, or if a quick change is needed after only 5-10 minutes of running in the engine after warmed up, but NOT under heavy throttle/load!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ront,

Yeah it's good for the crankcase too. I added it to an old Maxim once to free up a sticking starter clutch. But it is very good if you want to use it as an engine flush to help cut motor oil vvarnish and sludge.

Just add a 16 ounce bottle before you change oil. Start the engine and let it idle for about 5 to 10 minutes. If it's cool out side no problem. If it's summer time I usually let a box fan blow on the motor while running.

Kill the engine and change oil AND filter.

I also use a little ...religiously...in my fuel.
      Last edited by MAXIMAN; 03-25-2005, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I am having no real problems other than a little rough idle. The bike runs pretty well really. I am just looking to flush the system out and have read so much good stuff about seafoam that I just wanted to give it a try.

Ron
        Let's Roll
        1978 Yamaha XS750 SE

Comment

SeaFoam..Gooooood

I have a boat (1984 Sylvan with Mercruiser 170 I.O.), which I regulary run Seafoam in. Well, it was hesitating a little on the take-off, you know... idle to full throttle, like when you're trying to get a skier out of the water? Anyway, I fogged it through the carb follwoing the directions on the can using the last ounce or so to "kill" the motor, then let it sit for about 10 minutes or so before re-starting it. WOW!...talk about your tune-up in a bottle! The hesitation problem was gone, and starts were a lot quicker and it even idled smoother after that. I am wondering if this would be a good thing to do with the bike...even though it runs pretty good right now with a small amount of Seafoam in the fuel at regular intervals? Any thoughts......

Keith
          They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

seafoam

as TC points out it works real good for a reason. I would not recomend leaving it in the crankcase,i never personally tried it there but it does a number on completely gummed up carbs,and realitivly fast too. so that leads me to believe it is very strong chemically wise. So i would flush quickly and put in oil and filter,you wouldn't want it to start attacking gaskets that are getting hard to replace ,if ya no what i mean
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey Materi,

If you've got a lot of carbon buildup then I would think it would help, but our bikes are run for much longer periods of time at much higher temps which helps to burn off carbon vs. the boat engines, being water cooled, and lots of on and off, relatively short trips, etc..

I've seen other discussions about techniques to remove carbon deposits from engines, from even just cool water sprayed into the carbs during running!?

I think the Seafoam in the gas mostly works towards keeping the carbs passages from getting gummed and clogged, but don't know if it has much affect on carbon buildup!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Yeah,

Good point as usual TC...besides what would be the point of rigging a device to get the Seafoam into all four carbs at once to cure a problem that probably doesn't exist?

Keith
                They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

rigging?

if you put seafoam in the gas tank, it goes to all four carbs yes?
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey CHevy,

Yeah, from the tank into all four carbs, but not in concentrated form, like he was talking about "Fogging" all four cylinders, which essentially floods them with so much Seafoam that they stall, and that allows the concentrated solution to then work it's magic on the carbon inside the cylinders, then when restarted, it gets all blown out. So...he'd have to have a 4 tube rig going to all four intakes ports to be able to dump a portion of SeaFoam sufficient to stall/kill the engine, all that the same time!?

Probably be easier just to pull the plugs and squirt a touch into each cylinder....however, it being as thin and penetrating as it is, it would probably get past the comp and oil rings anyways, so an Oil and filter change would still be in order!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Just rig up (T) some vacuum hoses to all four vacuum nipples on the carb boots, and stick the free end into a container of Seafoam, or Berrymans carb cleaner, or your cleaner of choice

Comment

If you use that stuff directly into the heads, won't it destroy the carbon rings that exist at the top of the cylinders? I have always heard that you are supposed to let it be...for what reason, I do not know! And...if you move massive amounts of carbon, can it lodge in a valve seat and get pounded in place, screwing-up compression? Scarey stuff to me...
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X