Fork Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Springs

Does anybody know what the actual difference is between the fork springs between a 79 and 80 Special? There is an NOS set for a 79 SF on ebay right now that I am giving some serious consideration to. I have checked Yama's online parts catalog, and the P/N prefix is different, but what are the physical differences? After riding Foster Child for a while, and discovering how well it rides compared to Twilite Special, I realized that TS rides like crap compared to FC, but I don't want to cannibilize the suspension from FC to put on TS. There are also some new shocks on ebay also, but they are supposed to fit a 'Wing, and an xs750, as well as the xs11. I saw some there a while ago, so I wrote and asked the seller if the lower mounting bushings were different sizes or if they were both the same size. He said they were the same size, so that tells me that they won't bolt on with out some mods. Any thoughts on that one?
    Thanks guys.

springs

I can't answer your question about the interchange of springs, but I can tell you that I got a set of Progressive front springs from BikeBandit and they made a big difference on my Special.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Hey John,

Yeah, I checked out the parts fiche, there isn't a parts list for the 80SG, but the 81SH was a different prefix from the 79SF. However, when looking on Bikebandit, their Progressive spring kits are the same for the 79-81 Specials! And they are only about $70.00 a pair. How much are the Ebay ones? Why spend $20-30 bucks when with just a little over twice that you can get brand new actual variable rated progressive springs, vs. 25 year old ones!?!?

But, I think there probably isn't much difference between the 79 and 80 specials if Progressive doesn't differentiate!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC

These are NOS heavy duty fork springs for a 79 SF. If you use the Yamaha parts listing for the 80 LG you can find a P/N for the spring. It must be the same as the SG. Right now the price is $30. I'm what I like to call 'Frugal' Or , you could say I'm a cheap bastard. I'll see what happens with the set on ebay before I go spending over $70

Comment

springs

I strongly suggest the Progressive's. The difference was amazing in the ride and handling. The same part number Progressive spring is listed for the Standard and the Special, but a 3.5" spacer is required for the special.
          There is quite a few posts on this subject if you do a search for Progressive.
          Walt
          80 XS11s - "Landshark"
          79 XS11s
          03 Valkyrie
          80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
          78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
          81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I have read most of the info here on the progressive springs. I agree that they are probably a better piece, but I think some NOS springs will suffice. Ya know, my frame has over 96k miles on it, so anything will be a major improvement. Maybe if the bidding gets too stoopid, then I'll think about the progressives. What about my shock absorber question? Any input there?

Comment

I bought a set of Maxim 1100 air shocks for my '80 Special (Kong). Only paid 20 or 30 bucks. When I get 'em on I'll let ya know. I can say they sure work fine on Zilla.

Comment

I already have the XJ air shocks on the bike, but I'm not crazy about them. They came off of a bike that I parted out, and it only had 14k miles on it. I have about 15-20 psi in them.

Comment

Hey there "Frugal" John,

Well, if those front springs are truly NOS and not USED, then by all means, get them if you can win inexpensively!

As for the rear shocks, it's been 4+ years since I put on my "el cheapo" JCW shocks, and I vaguely remember having fun with the bushings, but IIRC, it was more of a problem with the upper ones, the bushings center holes didn't seem big enough for the upper shock mount bolt, was a tight squeeze to get the bushings in there, think I had to ream out the center hole a little??

The lower portion seemed to fit fairly easily, but I think the bolt on the right side is smaller diameter than the left mount bolt, but can't remember exactly So....not sure what you mean by modification required.....they should come with an assortment of bushings....mine did!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC

The mods I was referring towould be pressing the lower bushings from the XS shocks to install in the GL shocks. I did find an advertised set of NOS fork springs for a 78 E on ebay for thebuy it now price of $15. So I did... They were listed in the suspension section of ebay, but I always use the search all areas feature when I go looking, so I don't know why they didn't show up in the xs11 listings. I'm going to compare the height of the new vs the old when I get them. Anything will be an improvement over the old stuff that I have now.

Comment

Working...
                    X