brake bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake bleeding

In the near future I plan on replacing my brake lines with Chris Rawson's SS lines, and replacing the pads. Since this will be the first time I've done it, I was wondering what the consensus was regarding bleeding the brake lines. Conventional way, speed bleeders, or mity-vac, etc. Comments/suggestions?
    Robert
    79 SF

When I did my SS lines I used a cheap big plastic syringe with some clear tubing attached to it. After you replace the lines Take most of the old fluid out of the master cylinder (I used paper towels to soak it up) then fill the syringe with new fluid and burb to get air out (don't do this near anything painted as it could spurt). Then open one of the bleeders and back feed the fluid to the MC. Make sure you do not over flow the MC. Took me about ten minutes to do both front lines. Speed bleeders need the system to be full of fluid before they will work so use them the next year.

Comment

try this tip it has links to other tips as well.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
        try this tip it has links to other tips as well.
        Thanks, read the tech tips already, wanted to solicit more opinions.
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Scootstado2
          When I did my SS lines I used a cheap big plastic syringe with some clear tubing attached to it. After you replace the lines Take most of the old fluid out of the master cylinder (I used paper towels to soak it up) then fill the syringe with new fluid and burb to get air out (don't do this near anything painted as it could spurt). Then open one of the bleeders and back feed the fluid to the MC. Make sure you do not over flow the MC. Took me about ten minutes to do both front lines. Speed bleeders need the system to be full of fluid before they will work so use them the next year.
          Interesting...never thought of reverse bleeding. How big of a syringe do you have to get in order to completely fill line in one try?
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

You don't need to do it in one try, just close the nipple while you reload. I would guess the syringe I borrowed from my auto mech. held about 3 oz. But the line itself does not hold much fulid, I think I did each with one load. I don't know where he got it but looks like something they use on cows ;-) I know they are cheap, same as me. Just be careful using it.

Comment

Working...
            X