Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher 81H 3 prong

Hi,

I need a 3 prong flasher for my 81H. I tried a 2 prong auto type flasher. No luck . The one I have only works on the right side. When I switch to left it just buzzes. Where can I buy one that does not cost a fortune. I beleive Yamaha wants about 80 bucks for the damm thing. I am told that a 2 prong should work the signals but not the hazard flasher. This is Ok but so far the one I tried did not work. Any ideas? Amatco (Allen)
    Allen

I have a two prong on my 80 Special. Did you try to plug it in both ways? I think that will make a difference. It's been so long since I did itthat I can't remember how it did it. Try using the search bar at the top of the page, and type in flashers, or turn signals. There have been some posts on that subject here in the past.

Comment

I also use a 2-prong flasher. It can plug in only 2 ways, center and left or center and right in the bike-side connector. One way works, other way doesn't. If you can't get yours to work I would try another flasher or you have a problem elsewhere in the wiring.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I noticed that the 81H was different than the 78E with the wiring to the female clip. Sorry I can't help you more, but you can get the metal femal clips out of that plastic housing and switch them. I did this when I used an electronic flasher unit (I have 2 78E's and an 81H with them, and I had to run a wire to ground.)
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have an 81SH and also used a standard 2 plug flasher at first, and I didn't have to switch the wires around in the plug, just plugged it in, and it worked. Then I switched to LED's and just plugged in an electronic one, also worked just fine.

HOWEVER, I did help a friend with an XJ, and his wiring was bassackwards, and I had to pull and swap the one of the side wires with the center one, IIRC., after that, it worked!

Double check your ground connections in the lights on the side that is buzzing, if the flasher works for one side, it should work for the other, so probably something with the wiring on that trouble side!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Get a yugo 3 prong flasher unit if everything else fails. It costs about the same as 2-3 bottles of beer.
            The extra prong is ground. That's about all the difference between 2 and 3 prong ones.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Flasher problem solved

Thanks guys for all the info regarding my flasher problem . I tried everything but the obvious to solve my flasher problem. I decided to back track the wiring and sure enough under the rear fender were bare wires shorting out causing all the damage. Easy fix.
              Poor ground and bare wires. Big headache.

I appreciate all the replies . Thanks. Allen
              Allen

Comment

Working...
              X