Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you like about any particular model/year??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you like about any particular model/year??

I am hunting for a new XS1100 to restore and don't know much about them. I was just hoping for some input on what performance/appearance characteristics people on this board like/dislike about certain models/years.

Where do you start? The XS was only made from 78-81, then was reborn as the XJ1100 Maxim for 82 and then dropped in the US, but continued in Canada till 84. There are two kinds of XS's a Standard and a Special. In 78 only a Standard was made, then in 79 a Special was added (tear drop tank, lower seat, wider tire, etc...basically a crusier model) then in 80 an Midnight Special was added...all black with gold chrome on everything. In 1980 only two Midnights were allowed per dealer, making them much more rare than the 81 Midnight. In 81 the Standard was reworked as a touring bike and dubbed the Venturer 1100 (Trans-Canada 1100 in Canada).

And in europe they had the 1.1 Martini. The highest performance model is the 78, After that they added small changes for emissions every year. The performance difference between models is so small as to not even matter. The running gear was the same on all models and problems go across the whole line of bikes, not just certain years.

Pick one you like and get it, specials are more common than standards, making the standard more special in my opinion. Here is a quick peek at the basic models:

Standard

Special

Midnight Special

XJ1100J

1.1 Martini
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

The best kind of XS is a TURBO XS in my opinion.....

BUT if you get on of those, make sure you done have one of these following you!

Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
        [B]The best kind of XS is a TURBO XS in my opinion.....

BUT if you get on of those, make sure you done have one of these following you!
        I would think if you have a XSiveTurbo then the XSiveCop wouldnt matter to much.

BTW, cool pict of the XSiveCop bike Gary. Ive never seen that before.
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

NAGGING CURIOSITY;
          .....I've had, for some years: ?? >> isn't the "offset" axle
          at the bottom of front fork tubes, on the "Specials", and "all"
          other, than the "Standards" ?
          With the "Standard" having the centered axle, at the
          bottom of the tubes ?
          Major geometry difference.
          JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
          7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

my preferences

great background info, gary, and great pics!

i personally prefer the STD to the special. i like the 'bulky', kinda 'thuggish' look of the tank, headlight, turn sigs, inst's etc. i like the 78/79 because of the higher compression ratio, but i also like certain features of the 80/81.

the pic gary posted of the 81H is just about my fave look, minus the fairing. no coincidence that i've modified my SF almost to that point. i am also considering the curved spoke wheels, a tour trunk, and an HD fairing.

overall, all these models appear much the same. there are many subtle differences, however. it may take awhile before you really start to notice them.

you are correct about the axle placement, norton. the front end is one area where there is virtually NO interchanging parts from STD to special. its either one or the other.
            - dan
            - thinker57@lycos.com
            - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

I only own standards. The 81H "Venturer" has a 6.2 gallon tank (although I ruined mine) and nice luggage. The 81H has a seat height that is a little higher than the 78E, and you have a bit more room as your butt is a little further from the tank. The 81H has the better of the stock seats IMO. 81H also did away with the "mechanical" advance and has not pick-up coil wire problem that is so typical with the earlier models. 81H had better looking bars also. 78E's are a pain in the butt to remove the rear wheel because of the long stock pipes. The cable tool is needed with 78E's and with permanent luggage you can have a ball with THAT.

Yamaha should have made removable mufflers instead!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X