i have every intention of doing.

So my question(s) are....

does anyone have any pointers on how to
    go about looking for another XS11?

my girlfriend works at a motorcycle sales/service
    shop and said she is gonna have some guys there
    keep an eye out.

other than that -- all of the bike shops
    that i've been to have only new(er) stuff.

any suggestions?

Well Beechfront you can start with the classified ads right here in XS11.com. There are about 10 bikes for sale now. Another option is to check ebay, there have been many XS's for sale there. Also check at www.cycletrader.com. You may have to travel to get one but they are out there.
    Good luck.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

not that i will be able to be picky or anything, but i was looking at some different photos of the XS11's and from what i could see - the one that caught my eye was the 1982 Yamaha XJ1100 J (Maxim). just a couple questions. from the photo, the speedo looks as if it only goes to 80mph?

one of the specs pages makes mention of a Computer Monitor System. Just how 'computery' is this. I assume in '82 this won't amout to anything too complicated.

Comment

2nd bike

beech,

in yer situation, my first choice would be another SF, then E/F/, because of the high sameness to yer SF. next would be SG/SH, then G/H.

Personally, i would not consider an XJ, as they are orphan bikes and very difficult to find some critical parts for. (watch out for the XJ flamers...)

if you want to go completely different, you have 100's of options.
        however, as an new bike owner, my recommendation would be to get another XS11, as this would help you tremendously to know the SF you are beating the hell out of right now... ;O)

you'd have parts to switch around as needed, and only a few manuals, 1 CD, and 1 forum to belong to...

my .02
        - dan
        - thinker57@lycos.com
        - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Re: 2nd bike

Originally posted by Stray Bullet
          beech,

you'd have parts to switch around as needed, and only a few manuals, 1 CD, and 1 forum to belong to...

my .02
          What is this CD that some have been talking about?

Where can I get one? how much?
          for now,
          jakal92

78 XS 1100E

Comment

i was wondering the same.

Comment

Chris Rawson has taken the lead on supplying XS and XJ stainless steel brake lines. Contact him at chrisra@concentric.net. Last I heard, Chris was selling the set of lines for around $80.00.

This is a quote from my article "Sorting out the XS/XJ suspension" which you can find at xs11.com at tips, off-site tips, Jerry Fields, sorting out the XS/XJ suspension. Another good article, also at XS11.com, is by Joe Minton, "Making Your XS Handle" under the Articles heading.

As for another bike, you have to be a real man to start up on an XJ...or have a lage amount of patience! The XJ is differnt in many areas, and was sold in the US for only 1 year (1982) which makes finding parts for it rather more difficult. However, I wanted one because of the electronic readout instrument panel, higher output alternator, factory air suspension and adjustable handlebars, all-electronic ignition (no vacuum advance wires to repair), the looks of a special but a larger gas tank, and a few other goodies.

For another XS, I would be looking at an '81, from which the XJ was derived. Many of the same parts but more in common with the earlier XS models. The 81 came in a couple differnt models, the standard, special, and Venturer, which was a full-dresser with a 6 gallon gas tank, different handlebars, and a few other goodies. Any year Midnight Special would be nice to have, too.

Another thought is to get the model you don't have, if you have a special, get a standard, or vice-versa.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I missed a few points. CD is available from Rob Mills. I'll get his address from my notes and post it if someone else doesn't beat me to it. CD includes microfiche parts lists and service manuals for just about all the XS/XJ models, plus Vetter Windjammers and some 3rd party (Haynes?) wiring diagrams that are easier follow than stock. Price was $10.00, a real bargain. Files are read with Adobe Acrobat reader, included on the CD or you can download it free from the Adobe site, www.adobe.com.

In about 1982, all bike (and most car) speedometers were designed to read out to 85 mph, a real drag. Idea was to hold back top speeds for safety reasons. A common swap on XS bikes is to replace the stock 85 unit with a 160 unit from an earlier bike. Since the XJ is differnt, you have to get the speedo modified. I did this on my XJ per Dean Kohler's procedure, get a 165 faceplate and have a speedo shop swap it onto the XJ speedometer, recalibrated for the new face place. Cost was about $65 for the faceplate, speedo recalibrate, and shipping.

XJ wiring is more comples than earlier XS bikes, with more sensors, relays, and more complicated LCD dash readout. By this time the XJ had also acquired 4-way flashers, activated by a switch located on the right handlebar below the hand grip. Most problems are with the side stand switch, which would cut the motor if you put the bike in gear with the side stand down. Switch wears out and gets erratic, no longer available from Yamaha, so most owners unhook the switch from the circuit. Otherwise the wiring is fairly reliable, at least as much as the XS, maybe more.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

CD, manuals, forum

beech and jakal,

as stated above, rob mills makes the CD and charges a measly $10 for it. worth every penny. since you are both(?) relatively new to the XS1100, i'd also like to emphasize that you really NEED all 3 manuals (yamaha, clymers, haynes). each has its strong and weak points. thumbing thru the manuals in yer spare time is never a waste of time, you need to be careful to follow the correct procedures when doing any/all repair/maint. the XS is a complicated machine, dont assume you know how to do something, even if it seems obvious. you can still pick the clymers up in an MC shop. the other 2 are out of print, but ebay usually has several copies up for auction at any given time (btw, DONT bid against 79bullet... ever! ;O)

yer other major source of reliable info is right here at XS11.com. look it over, study up. when you DO need a (virtual) hand from someone online, you'll be on the same page.

ride smart,
                  - dan
                  - thinker57@lycos.com
                  - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Working...
                  X