heli coil kit installation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heli coil kit installation question

So,another post by yours truly,which just goes to show that if anything can go wrong it will.Cleaned and reassembled my carbs,even got them back in(thanks to whoever posted the tip about WD40 on the boots,the carbs slid in really easily.).So went to put in new spark plugs to fire it up and see how I did,and somehow ended up with a cross threading situation.I bought a helicoil kit off of E-bay(Hope the quality is o.k.,but the price was right 12.99 with 9 coils,I will post and tell you guys how it worked out.)
    the meat of the question is this,anyone who has used these kits have any advice?Especially about keeping the shavings out of the engine,I don't want to have to remove the head to do it but will if I have to.Thanks once again.

I had to give my 2 cents. I just reinstalled my carbs and that WD-40 idea was great.!!!

Comment

don't just helicoil the head without reading the forum

do a search, there is a thread somewhere about what to do

a summery would be

hook a air compressor or a shop vac to your exhaust, the side that you are doing the helicoil on
      duct tape works for this

turn your motor over until the air is coming out of the spark plug hole

that way it will blow the metal chips out of the cylinder

do the helicoil with the vac or compressor running
      wear eye protection as the chips will fly

be careful
      good luck
      http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
      78E main ride, since birth the "good"
      78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
      78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
      79F Parts
      80G Parts
      75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

after reading my reply

i forgot to say that the shop vac needs to blow into the exhaust
        not suck

good luck
        http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
        78E main ride, since birth the "good"
        78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
        78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
        79F Parts
        80G Parts
        75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

I can't remember whom but someone posted recently about how they put in the Helicoils with the head on and when they later tore down the engine, they showed some damage to the valve. This was because the helicoil was inserted to far.

The shopvac may be a good idea but if you don't feel comfortable with the possibility of going in to far a nd damage to the internals of your engine, you may want to tear it down and do the helicoil.
          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Before you "helicoil" it...try chasing the old threads with a tap. Many times I've had a "cross thread" situation and I can simply chase the old threads with a tap.

A lot of times ...if you get the tap straight...it works like a charm. It's worth a try.

Comment

I believe someone mentioned previously about trying to retap from the inside out.

There maybe some information on this on the site.
              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

tap inside out

Yeah, twas me. Inside out tap bought from the MAC TOOL guy. I think a set of three sizes was $75 or there abouts, but as we only need one size, do the math for the price on one. Was a lot of good info on that earlier tapping thread. try to do a search for it.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Do a search for MAC TOOL TAP. will bring up a thread started by BROCK last september.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                  X