Head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket

Has anyone here reused a head gasket, and to what end. I know the book says not to, but mine is in good shape and I don't want to buy an entire gasket kit. I am being a cheapass I know but any input would be appreciated.

Re: Head gasket

If you put it all together and you lose compression out of the gasket, you'll be kicking yourself in the cheapass! =8-) No offense...

Originally posted by slick
    Has anyone here reused a head gasket, and to what end. I know the book says not to, but mine is in good shape and I don't want to buy an entire gasket kit. I am being a cheapass I know but any input would be appreciated.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Slick, try your local Yamaha dealer. They may be able to get a head gasket, without all the rest, for you.
      Trying to reuse the old is like trying to reuse a rubber, it may work, but you WILL pay if it fails!!!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok, I probably shouldn't reply to this one, but I have reused a head gasket. I assembled it, found that I had done something loopy, took it apart again, and reused the gasket. Still good after three years. Now, that's not to say that everyone will be that lucky. I just wanted to get the bike back running by the next morn. Now, I don't know your mechanical ability, nor how fun you consider pulling engines apart to re-fix them....

I work at a shop, and doin' (and re-doin' if needed) my own engines at home is no big deal to me. Might not be the same for others.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I, too, reused a graphite head gasket, BUT, the engine had NOT been run. I had assembled and torqued it down, and then found a bent valve, had to tear it down to fix. The local performance bike shop that did my cylinder work said it was okay to reuse it since I hadn't actually run the engine. It's been fine for 4 years and several rallies, a few thousand miles.

SO....I would think that if you hadn't run the engine, then you could probably be safe reusing it. You'll be retorquing it down, once before running it, then once again, after you've had it up to operating temps and then cooled down again!

Regrettably they aren't cheap....like $85.00 from Yamaha.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ya know.... Ya could do like my bro,.,. the "ACE" mechanic. Just go to your local parts store and buy em outta permatex gasket maker and empty all the tubes onto both sufaces. Smash the head down on it. snug tight the bolts and wonder hoa cumed it leakted.
            If that old head gasket has got a few miles on her, I would defenitlly replace it with new. Trust me. It will be $$ worth spent. Ya don't want to end up like my bro..
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X