Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel hub removal

Hello

Well in Alberta the weather is warming and I have seen bikes on the road. So off to the garage to start work. I'm attempting to pull the front wheel barings as I'm sure they have not been cleaned or packed since I have owned the bike.

I got every thing off but the oil seals. For the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the seals with out tearing them.

any ideas

79 xs1100 special

Teck
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

The seals will be driven out by the bearing. There is a spacer tube that runs the lenght of the hub, between the beraings, and it can be difficult to get a punch on the bearing to drive it out, but that is how its done. Unless you have a small gear puller monted on a slide hammer (dent puller). Buy a new long taper punch for the job. You may damage the bearing that you're driving out, but you should replace them anyway if you have them out.The bearings are available at any good bearing supply house, and they are not very expensive. I did mine a few years ago. Just take one of the old ones with you, and the clerk should be able to match it up. Bearing manufacturers all use the same P/N for bearings, so it should be no problem to find. I believe mine were SJK or something like that.
    Last edited by John; 03-07-2005, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Teck,

Like John said, the bearings are so cheap you might as well replace them as they'll probably get damaged in the removal.

Besides, you can get the whole magilla for about $20, including new seals.

Check out this e-bay link:

All Balls bearings/ seals

Comment

You might want to save the old bearing to use as a bearing driver. It is the right size to place over the new bearing so that damage is avoided when tapping it into place.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hub update

Okay I got them out and your all right , both were badly damaged. Good idea about saving the old ones and using then to set the new ones. What do you think the chance of Canadian Tire carrying these. Also I seemed to have damanged the small tin covers, gaskets. Can these be replaced?

Am i going to have the same experiance with the back tire?

Teck
          Tim Lowe
          "Teck"
          1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Wheel Bearings

CTC likely will not have your bearings in stock but can certainly order them for you. Finding seals may be done the same way. If it was me, I would follow the link provided by Randy and "Buy it now" from the eBAY source.
            Ken/Sooke

Comment

These bearings are also very common in electric motors. Any place that rebuilds them might be a source.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

need bearings?

Hi Teck,
                Those bearings and seals are standard industrials not weirdies?
                Take the old ones to a bearing supply house. The nearest B&Ts are in Edmonton & Calgary but Red Deer must have someone?
                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bearing update

Thank all

My local bearing store had what I was looking for. I got sealed units as they recommended against the open onces. Couple of questions

1. Do I still need to use the oil seals?
                  2. What is the best way to install the new seals so they will not be damanged.

Teck
                  Tim Lowe
                  "Teck"
                  1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

best you put the seals in

Hi Teck,
                    you may have been sold shielded bearings instead of sealed ones, but WTF, either will work for you.
                    sealed bearings have their own elastomeric seals while shielded bearings have metallic shields that stop debris getting into the races but don't keep the moisture out. Both types come pre-lubed and are difficult to repack.
                    Either way, fit the seperate seals as well, they keep the road grit & other junk out of the bearings themselves and that's a good thing.
                    Install the new seal by placing the old seal over it backwards, find a big socket that fits in the old seal's groove and carefully tap the socket with a moderately BFH until the new seal is fully home.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

There's another set for sale for $19.99

Here:

All Balls

Comment

all done (I think)

Sure glad I joined this association. front bearing went in fine. Every thing else cleaned and but back together. However, I have this nagging feeling that I may not have packed the hub with grease.

Pleas for give my stupid questions but is the book talking about the space between the right and left side bearing? If so, that's a large space that, by the way is dry as can be with no evidence of grease.

help!

teck
                        Tim Lowe
                        "Teck"
                        1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Re: all done (I think)

I asked the same question once, so hey, don't worry about it! The bearings are what needs the grease. That space between is rather large and irregular. I always put a light coat on the axle and any spacers (not on the threads) to keep corrosion away.

Originally posted by teck_mountain

Pleas for give my stupid questions but is the book talking about the space between the right and left side bearing? If so, that's a large space that, by the way is dry as can be with no evidence of grease.

help!

teck
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

sent packing

Hi Teck,
                            you bought sealed bearings right? They are pre-packed with grease at the factory. A light smear of grease on the spacer tube between the bearings will help defer rust in there but no need at all to pack it full.
                            OTOH tapered roller hubs like on car front wheels and on trailers do need to be liberally grease packed; the tapered rollers in your steering head too, come to that, even if you do have to dismantle the thing to do so.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                            X