XJ reserve lighting unit Bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ reserve lighting unit Bypass

I've done searches, and cannot find how to eliminate the reserve lighting box on the XJ. Is it possible to eliminate it since it's tied into the computer?

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Hey there Isipell,

I, too, did some research, and read the tech tip for removing/bypassing the RLU on the XS. There was an addendum note mentioning the VENTURE, which has a computer monitor, and they said it could still be done, but the problem they had was the Hi beam indicator wouldn't work. After much tracing of the XJ wiring diagram....which was labelled incorrectly in a few sections, I figured it out. The Computer monitor is after/inline with the power for the headlights, it goes thru the Comp. Monitor before it gets to the headlights. The RLU just sends power to the headlight when it senses the low beam circuit not working.

To Bypass it, you connect the BLUE/Black wire(hot), to the BLUE/WHITE wire that goes to the handlebar dimmer switch.

To preserve the highbeam indicator, FIRST connect the (Y) Yellow wire to the Y/G yellow green wire. The Y/G wire is a tap off the hi beam side. The (Y) wire is one side of the hi beam indicator bulb, the other bulb wire doesn't go to the RLU, it's a (G) green wire that normally connects thru a connector block to a R/Y Red Yellow wire(hot). You will need to cut that wire, tape off the R/Y end, and then run the (G) bulb side of the wire to Ground. The fun part will be finding the 6 wire plug/connector that has the "GREEN" wire on one side and the R/Y wire on the opposing connector plug!

The other wires in the RLU connector can just be left unplugged!

Okay, Jerry, any rebuttal to this approach? The copy of the wiring diagram I have had the L/W Blue White wire from the RLU mislabelled down where it connects thru to the dimmer switch! The end of the wire is labelled R/Y? And..the wire to the dimmer switch is labelled L/B for Blue Black instead of L/W. And the wire lablelled L/W at the connector should have been R/Y...cause it goes to another plug labelled R/Y. Thanks YAMAHA
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

XJ RLU bypass

Anyone figure out a way to bypass the Reserve Lighting Unit on the XJ?

Comment

Hey Kirk,

I merged your thread with the short one above, see my reply, and also read the tech tips!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

thanks

Thanks TC,
          I searched the list before I posted, honestly! Must have just missed it. Thanks for the merger and the info. I read about the XS, but I missed where it talks about the XJ RLU bypass in the tech tips. Do you have a link?

Comment

Hey Kirk,

It doesn't talk about the XJ, just that an addendum to the tip mentions about the VENTURE and it's computer, and it's wiring layout, and how to preserve the hi beam indicator. What I posted is what I figured out from the XJ's wiring diagram, which was or appears to be faulty.

I was hoping XJ-JERRY-moderator would have read my post and replied with a confirmation or rebuttal to the technique I suggested!? Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram? It would be easier for you to follow my train of thought referring to it!? HTH!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

T.C.,
              Gotcha...thanks.
              I do indeed have a wiring diagram printed off of rockjoks fine CD. I have a replacement RLU and with the regulator from John coming in the mail soon, I hope that everything will be back to normal. If I keep having problems, I'll refer to your instructions and my diagram to bypass the RLU and see if that helps. I'll post either way.

Thanks,
              Kirk

Comment

Working...
              X