Stripped Screw Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Screw Head

Doggone if this hasn't happend twice. I take the bike in for routine things, they check my fluid levels etc. The next time I go to add brake fluid to my master cylinder it is threaded so tight the screw head becomes totally stripped and I have nothing to grip. The first time it happend I used one of those screw extractors in my drill with success. No such luck this time. Any suggestions on removing the screw?

Can you drill out the entire screw head? If you can, and the other three will come out, then you can remove the remaining screw shaft with some penetrating fluid, and a vise-grip.
    I was going to describe a procedure for an XS, but I just checked your profile and saw that you have an XJ, and they have a one piece M/C-reservior.

Comment

One more suggestion. When you get it back together use never sieze on the threads. I gotten in the habit of putting it on almost anything "threaded". It really helps when you start taking things apart in the future.

Comment

screw

I had the exact same thing happen on my xj. I drilled the head off but what was left was barely enought to grab with vice grips. And then it broke off. I drilled it out and tapped it for a slightly larger Standard machine screw.

Louis
        "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
        brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
        '82 XJ1100J
        LED Dir and running lights
        LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
        Modulated H/L
        PIAA Driving lights
        YICS Eliminated
        750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Working...
        X