Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Kong please

I'm having a carb overflow problem too.

I just pulled the carbs on Kong and rebuilt them. New float valves (needles and seats) and bowl gaskets. The floats appeared to be fine and the float levels seemed ok. All the float "levers" were set at about the same position.

However when I turn fuel to them (via test tank) the number four carb flows over into the air box.

It seems if the float valves are working those alone would regulate the fuel going into the bowls. If the bowls are full then the floats should shut the valve prohibiting fuel to enter the bowls...NO?

OR....do the petcocks on vaccuum have some control over this?

Thanks

Cody

You are on the right track, Cody. If all of the floats and float valves are working properly, they will completely shut off the flow of fuel once the float bowl is full. Similarly, if the vacuum actuated patcocks on a standard, or the vacuum actuated octopus on a special, are working properly, they will completely shut off the flow of fuel when the motor is not running and there is no vacuum.

If you have fuel leaking from anywhere when the motor is not running, you have two problems that need to be fixed. In your case, you need to sort out the float and valve on carb #4. You may also need to sort out petcocks or octupus, but that you can determine by seeing if you have fuel flowing with the peetcocks in the on position, with the motor not running, and with the fuel delivery lines disconnected from the carbs.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

carb test

As for the carbs, and I learned this too many times the hard way... test them before putting them back on the bike. Take some 2x4's or scrap anything, and brace your bank of carbs on the bench up-side-down. Remove the float bowls. Hook up a line from a fuel source. (may have to get extra line and set fuel tank up on a milk crate or what-have-you higher than the carbs.) Turn on the fuel and watch the show.

The weight of the floats is enough to shut off the flow of fuel. If one of the carbs is leaking, you'll see if it's the needle and seat. I do so many carbs.. I can't remember just what OUR set-up looks like. Some seats are just pressed into the carb body with an O-ring around it, but I believe that ours are screwed in, with a gasket around the seat. Many times it's not the needle and seat that are leaking, but where the seat sets in the carb. Some leak quickly, which would overflow the carbs and flood the airbox immediately. Others, you'll need to monitor for 15 to 20 minutes to see if anything leaks past. These are the mysterious ones... never appears to be leaking, but always leaves a puddle of gas on the garage floor in the morn.

For what it's worth.. another carb tip. (had me pulling my hair for a while) Owner said carbs leaked... we didn't have a manual(carb specs.) "I'll see what I can do." Had the carbs off 3 times.. no leaky. Would never leak on the lift, but roll it off, would start leaking on the floor within ten minutes. Difference? On the lift= straight up and down on the center stand. On the floor=leaning to the left on the side stand. Incorrect float level. Fuel would slosh to the left, floats would drop, fuel would come in and then out the overflow tube. But of course... you all knew this already! I may not be quick, but I get there in the end.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks fellas...

IT WAS the float adjustment. I adjusted the float lever and finally got it to control the float bowl level properly.

I fired Kong up and it sounds very good. Tommorrow I take it for a test spin.

Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

Working...
        X