Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw the face of God...

...for an instant earlier today.

This a prime example of why a water cooled engine can kill ya. At least on an 11 you don't have that stinkin' anti-freeze to deal with.

I left a small OK town this afternoon headed back to my house (25 miles away). I was on Jehu (my ZL1000) and some "yahoo" on a Wing pulled out in front of me. He kicked it up to about 100 and I just stayed in his hip pocket.

We hit a straightaway, I downshifted to 5th and I was going to blow him off...Jehu will run up in the 150 range and will get there almost instantaneously. As I rounded a curve in the highway at 85 my rear Metzeler starter sliding...almost like I was on ice! Freeked me out totally. I let off the accel and coasted down to 55. When I looked in my rearview white steamy smoke was boiling off the left tailpipe of the Eliminator. I pulled over and a small allen head bold had backed out of the water pump resulting in a spray of antifreeze directly on the rear tire of the Kawy.

At least on Zilla I don't have to worry about my own bike wiping me out from a water leak! But then Zilla doesn't go 0-60 in 2.3 seconds.

Ahhhhhh...the things we do for speed.

Racing a WING? If you saw the face of GOD, he wasn't expressing any admiration! You are suppose to simple laugh at those confrontations. Pick your battles...even a cat only has nine lives.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nah....I wasn't really "racing" a Wing...just givin' him a hard time.

Heck I never got to race him cause the leak !

Comment

a spray of antifreeze directly on the rear tire
        Did you know that the EXACT same thing happens to your oil when you add 6 quarts to the crank case - a spray of OIL on the rear tire?

Talk about fish tailing....
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
        X