Speedometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Question

would this work on my 81 xs11. I would love to have a gauge with a closer representation of capability. Plus it makes for better bragging when you don't have to estimate how fast you were going.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

You didn't mention what you would like to use on your bike, but, knowing that you have an 85 mph speedo, you're probably wondering if a speedo from a 79 will work. Or possibly if one from an XS 750 SF will work. It only goes to 140, but that is closer to the real thing. The answer is yes. Those other speedo's will work. Even a 120 mph model from a 650 Special should work., till you shift into 5th.

Comment

good guess. It was this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50463&item=4531526 415&rd=1
      for a 75 XS650.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I put a 140 MPH speedo from an XS750SF on my XS1100LG and it appears to be as accurate as the original 85 MPH unit.
        I haven't pushed the needle all the way to the right yet, the bike has bad tires.
        My E read 143 MPH @ 9,000 RPM. I think the LG will have a lower top speed. I don't intend to go that fast very often (just the one time on the E).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

85 mph speedo

I finally had a chance to take Foster Child on the freeway today. It behaved admirably, but it was difficult to get use to seeing the speedo needle that far over on the speedo face. It seems that 80 on the speedo would equate to about 140 on Twilite Special (it has a 160 speedo on it). I kept thinking I needed to slow down.

Comment

Working...
          X