Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 Maxim

Hi All
    I've just bought a XJ1100 maxim, well pleased with it but not sure how to work the dash check system. Has anyone scanned in an owners manual that I could have a copy of. The bike came with the service manual and covers what to do it it all goes wrong but how do I know what is normal.

Keep revving
    Mike Farnworth
    XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

I believe the dash goes through its check list at start up of the engine. You are not able to do anything manually. If the computer finds a problem then that light stays lit up.
    Don Hughes
    Ex-1978 E
    Ex-1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1991 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1990 Honda Goldwing
    Edmonton

Comment

Mike,

The XJ11 wil go through a start up diagnostic everytime you start the engine.

If anything is wrong ...the particular LCD will stay "lit" and a resulting red warning light at the bottom of the pilot box will flash.

To cancel the annoying flash press the left button at the bottom of the pilot-box twice. To do a diagnostic check at anytime during running...press the right button.

A common LCD warning is the "BATT" warning. This simply lets you know when the battery fluid is low. "Zilla" does this frequently to me even when the battery fluid is fine. So I bypassed the "BATT" warning. To do this you simply solder a 2000 ohm resistor into the battery sensor circuit. The proceedure is outline under tech tips at this site.

LASTLY - Do you need a manual? I think I've got one in a PDF format I can e-mail you. Send me a PM to let me know.

Cody

PS: Good looking bike....Mike!

Comment

Hi Don & Cody
        Thanks for your info and I've just checked my bike - the 'brake' light stays on (I'll have to check the levels) but the red light doesn't flash so I guess that I'll have to check the bulb.
        Something I did notice, the lights don't come on when I start the bike - they're on before I start it but they go out on starting.
        Is there something else that I need to do.
        Thanks for the offer of a manual. I have a service manual but not an owners handbook (the one that tells you how to switch the hazards on, tyre pressures, etc)
        One other thing, are the rotary damping knobs on top of the front forks for compression damping or rebound?
        Thanks for the help and keep revving
        Mike Farnworth

Comment

The XJ has fluid level sensors in both the front and rear master cylinders. If your brake fluid is low in either place the Brake warning light will come on.

Adjustment rods on the front forks are damping adjustments, not rebound.

Oe other note on XJ brakes...the front left and rear are tied together through a proportioning valve on the rear master brake cylinder. This 'linked brake' system is discussed in the service namual. Upshot is that XJ owners tend to do a lot more braking with the rear brake than riders of other bikes. It takes a little getting used to and some experimentation to learn how to use this system to best effect.

Nice looking XJ, BTW!
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I've tried the linked brakes - I fitted them to my Martini as I had trouble braking with my right fingers (getting old I suppose) but having tried other brake setups, I think that the Martini's master brake cylinder was either siezed or very stiff.
            I think that I've found the problem with my lights not coming on after starting. If I waggle the starter switch after starting, they come on after a while. I guess the contacts just need cleaning.
            Keep revving
            Mike Farnworth

Comment

lights and brake warning

mike, hi
              My 82 xj does the same two things, the lights scared the crap out of me one night, but just wiggling the starter does seem to work. Thanks for the tip on the brake warning light, I dont see where either of the fluid levels are low but it continues to come on. thanks

Comment

Troy,

The level doesn't actually have to be "low" for it to trigger the sensor. I have braked hard before and set it off because the level sloshed in the reservoir. Usually if I keep it full...to the max...it doesn't do this.

Cody

Comment

Great looking bike... gonna check the ebay now if theres one for sale.... my 78E gets lonely in the garage.... Needs a buddy to talk to...

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                  X