Tank rust treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank rust treatment

Is there a DIY treatment to rid rust from a tank or line it?

Thanks

Kreem

It worked well for me, I did mine 13 years ago with no problems. Just follow the directions, remove the petcocks and plug the holes. Make sure to count whatever you put in to break up the rust. So you don't leave anything in it to come loose later. Any bike shop[ I've ever been in has it on the shelf.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

Whaddaya mean count? Do ya put somesort of abrasive beads in the tank and shake it to remove the rust?

How does it work? I thought you lined the tank with some chemical.

THX

Cg

Comment

Hey Maximan,

It was years ago, but I used Kreem from JC Whitney. Its a chemical treatment and coating. It worked great for me. Check out the link below.

JC Whitney Gas Tank Liner
        Last edited by Wayne; 03-03-2005, 09:08 AM.
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
          Whaddaya mean count? Do ya put somesort of abrasive beads in the tank and shake it to remove the rust?

How does it work? I thought you lined the tank with some chemical.

THX

Cg
          The instructions say to put some nuts and bolts, or small rocks in the tank, and shake it about, to help break up any heavy, flakey rust. That will quicken the cleaning process. Just make sure you get everything out. I would recommend steel items, as they can be retrieved by a magnet. Kreem is a three step process. The liner is the final step. I have used it twice, with good results. Follow the directions (I know...real men don't need 'em). The stuff really does work well. If, for any reason, you need to remove the liner after it has cured, then acetone is the manufacturers recommended solvent. I had to remove some from SWMBO's FJ1100 when she first bought it. The liner had come un-adhered from the top of the tank, and was floating down over the petcocks and starving it out.
          You can find it at most bike shops.

Comment

And don't get any on the paint!
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Cody,

If you follow the directions to a tee, it will turn out fine. I've used it on two tanks in my lifetime with good results.

Be careful with the chemicals, though. The acetone they supply with the kit will remove any paint it touches, so if you're not planning on re-painting the tank, then develop a plan to protect the finish.

Unfortunately, the acetone will eat through almost any plastic, too.

The Kreem liner needs to be applied in a WELL ventilated area, (like outdoors!) so not a good cold weather project. I swear the fumes from that stuff will knock you unconscious if you're not careful.

When I did mine, I had lots of time, so I coated the tanks twice with a week drying time in between coats. No problems.

Comment

hole plugs.

To make gizmos to plug the petcock and fuel gauge holes: Get some thick plastic sheeting. (I used old plastic spatulas or Bondo spreaders) Go to your nearest Motorcycle shop and ask for one of their old junk inner tubes lying out back. Cut the plastic and drill hole to match the holes in the tank. Cut rubber innertube to use as gasket for your patch. Patch it, and fill tank with water and watch for leaks. 'member, that when using the white sealant, you'll be trying to coat the whole tank, which means turning the tank up side down to get the sides and the top. Wear goggles when looking in the filler hole. And as Randy says... If you breath too much of the stuff, you'll be smelling it in your nose for days. Oh yeah, it is possable to put the fuel gauge back in backwards, so 'member which way the float goes. (I think it was to the rear)(petcocks can be installed facing the wrong way, too)
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

This place rocks. People here just bend over backwards to help.

Thanks for all the tips...things I haven't even consider on this little project are now starting to come to light.

Thanks again guys.

Cody

Comment

Another trick I used was to duct tape a hand held hair dryer to the filler neck, and with the petcocks removed, set it to low heat and let it run a while to thoroughly dry the tank from the fresh water rinse that is the final step before applying the liner material.

Comment

I used trichlorethilene thingie to degrease the tank from the leftover gas, used some phosporous stuff to rinse the tank, get all the loose rust out. It chemically bonds with rusty stuff and makes some sort of whitish... thing. Anyway, prevents it from rusting on. Then I used some poliester to line the tank with. Gotta be careful with the timing. It was a bit too gooey when I poured it out for my taste. Then I placed a couple of computer vents over the filler and gauge holes to dry the stuff. Left it for 2 days just to be sure, poured in the gas and away I rode, happy again, into the sunset, the end.

LP
                      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

derusting steel

Hi Max,
                        2 ways for the DIYer to derust stuff.
                        If you got a few weeks, fill the gas tank with a mix of one part blackstrap molasses to ten parts water and wait.
                        If speed's your need, electrolyse it off.
                        Fill the tank with a mixture of washing soda (NOT baking soda, it don't work) & water. Hook the poitive side of a battery charger to the tank and the negative side to a sacrificial anode (twist up a wire coat hanger) stuck through an insulated bung in the gas cap hole. Full details here. If the link folds, type it out.

http://twinoak.altelco.net/%7Ejacil/...ElecSetup.html

Fred Hill, S'toon

***Fixed Link*** T.C.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey there Maximan,

I got some liner solution from JCW, but from their AUTO catalog, designed to coat the inside of slightly rusty tanks!! Just not desinged to be used with ETHANOL gases!! It's a ONE step liner! I used some small gauge chain to shake around inside the tank. Then let it dry, then removed the petcocks, gauge sender, gas cap, duct taped all the opening, then poured this stuff in, sloshed it around real good, then poured out the excess back into the can. Then hung it up on a hanger in garage to dry, pulling the tape off of the petcock holes, let it dry/cure for a few days. Been great for 4 years now!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tank kit

I read about por-15, nevr used it but it might be another source,,google it and you'll get thehttp://www.por15.com/default.asp or something like this. They also sell the super duper kit to remove the failed kit. Open roads and Open minds..

Comment

Hey guys, I've done 2 tanks with a product from caswell plating It's a 2part epoxy that makes a clear hard seal. Works great.
                              '79 Special (now the son's)
                              '00 Roadstar
                              '01 Marauder 800 (SWMBO)

Comment

Working...
                              X