Re: Stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stacks

Has anybody used the stacks out of the stock airbox? What size filter will fit over the ends? Should be fairly large since they curve out. Thanks
    Bill Harvell

I once saw a guy remove the airbox, then use the velocity stacks with just a bit of pantyhose over the open end to keep out the biggest bugs. It looked pretty neat, but I'm pretty sure it wold not prolong engine life to run that way for long.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Velocity Stacks

I have done exactly what you are proposing. Worked well but expect greatly accelerated piston/ring/cylinder wear. The dustier the area, the faster the wear. Also be ready for the noise. The intake "ROAR" makes it sound like you found 20HP. You haven't of course, just sounds that way. On a long trip the excess noise wears on you. Once home you wiil swirch it back to the original air box.
      I found "Martha Stewart" tea strainers at a K-Mart or similar store. They are stainless and once I snapped the handles off they fit over the flare in the end of the stock/rubber velocity stack exactly. There is just enough interference fit that they hold themselves on and look really trick.
      I do not recomend! I remember once in the early 70's at a dirt track race in upstate NY. I arrived with a "fresh" motor. (no air filter-velocity stacks) I was really "cooking" that night. Won my heat. Won the semi. Lead the feature for 23 laps of a 25 lap race. Motor went sour and barely limped home 3rd with oil fouled plugs. Had created so much piston/ring/cylinder wear that the excess oil consumtion was fouling the plugs.
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Thanks for the responses. What I wanted to know is what size foam filter pods would fit on the end. I`am looking for better access and heaven knows my bike is loud now (bad mufflers). I know with 4 filters the maintence would be a little longer but knowing the air is filtered right would give a little peice of mind. The stacks help the bikes running and with filters on the end of each seems like the best of both worlds ( a noisey one ) Thanks
        Bill Harvell

Comment

Idea. If you're bent on trying the stacks and are aware of the long term risks, try Ken's Martha Stewart fix ... times two. That is, get eight Martha Stewart tea strainers and sandwich a piece of thin foam between pairs of them to make four filtered stack covers. But first, just buy two strainers and experiment a bit to see if it'll work. I did something similar back in the '70s on my Ducati 750 GT. Looked cool. That ol' duke was a baaad sounding bike!
          Dennis

Comment

I did that, I had to cut the flared ends off the stacks to get the filters on. you must use the 2/25-2.5 inch PODS. The pods by them self will not fit, they block off the long hole in the carb that is near the edge of it. I dont think you can get the flared ends in the pod unless you cut them off and it you were able to you might not be able to get the PODS tight on the stacks.
            Last edited by grabberblue; 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM.
            When I die I want to go in my sleep like my Grandfather,... not screaming like the passangers in his car!

Comment

Thanks. The pod sizes was what I wanted. When it warms up I`ll see what I need to do. Thanks
              Bill Harvell

Comment

I have had 2 XS's that I ran on just the stock stacks.

Never had any problem.....been just hoping it would eat up everything so I could justify a big bore but at this rate I'll never see it happen....oh well

All I ever drive on is asphalt tho...wouldn't recommend dirt roads
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                X