valve adjusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjusting

Is the valve adjusting tool to remove the shims the same for an XJ as an XS?
    Dealer only item???
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

No; you should be able to buy it from any good cycle parts dealer. In San Jose, CA, we have a shop called Road Rider, and my tool was about $13.00 with tax. It is made by an aftermarket supplier, I just don't remember the exact name. I think it was KT tool, but I'm not positive. It should be the same tool for both machines, as they are both two valve heads.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I belive most of the ones floating around are motion-pro and you can even find it in Dennis Kirk. There are many reports of them not working properly on some XS11 motors though.

I bought one, but ended up not using it as I had to take out the cams anyway during a rebuild.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I've never been able to get them to work, so I remove the cams to swap shims.

Anyone have 'instructions' on how to make them work?

Comment

I thought I remember a thread in the past on how to trim down the motion pro tool so it will work.

Here is the link to someone who posted how to trim it.

link
          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I know Motion Pro has been less than helpful about this issue with their tool in the past.

A tool that has to be altered to make it work leads me to believe that it is not designed for the intended task!

A pox on Motion Pro!

Comment

I know the tool I got in December was NOT motion pro. I just don't remember the brand. It worked very well, as well as I remember the Yamaha tool working back in '79.
              The trick with the tool is you need to rotate the cam lobe one direction, install the tool and then back the cam off until the lobe ALMOST rests on the tool. I've had very little problems with the shims, and they seem to have been in the machine a looong time.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

valve adjust

thumperjsa

The link you provided is excellent. Pictures tell thousands of words!
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                  I've never been able to get them to work, so I remove the cams to swap shims.

Anyone have 'instructions' on how to make them work?
                  I have two of them,both of which I purchased From the local Yamaha dealer in St.Louis (Donaldson) and they both work,albiet a little tricky. The how to do it is covered in the Yamaha shop manual.If you have a valve train that has the shims under the bucket (Kawasaki style),you gotta remove the cams,but not on the good ole Yammie.Race cams have the shims under the bucket,so if you float a valve it doesn't spit out the shim and take out the motor,oh Lord I hate it when that happens,especially to me.
                  81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Working...
                  X