Smoke,smoke and not a drop to drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke,smoke and not a drop to drink

So as I was posting in the last thread,thanks for the advice from those who gave it,and now on to the next dilemma.
    I was having a flooding problem,which caused gas to get down into the oil pan,so drained it all and replaced with new,I haven't taken the carbs apart or anything,but did take apart the petcocks.After doing this and putting them back together, I fired up the bike(first pulling out the choke lever 2 clicks?) and with the bottom of the airbox removed,waited to see if it would start dropping fuel again.After about 3-5 minutes no fuel was overflowing but I was getting alot of white smoke from the tailpipes.

1.Since it is not dumping fuel ,is it likely that it will hold,or is it just a short matter of time until it does?And will this mean gas in the oil again?

2.What are likely causes of the smoke?

I do not have alot of mechanical knowledge,just love old bikes and am trying to learn,so please put any replies in laymans terms.I really appreciate all the help I can get,Thanks again----Austin

Hey there again Madsin,

I commented in that lengthy reply to your other thread, about the smoking, you may not have seen that reply, cause you were making/posting this thread at the same time?

As long as you remember to turn off the petcocks, AND they do not develop a leak, then you'll be okay with NOT reflooding your carbs, even if the float needle valves don't properly seal. I got rid of my Octy 4 years ago. It's not a hard habit to learn!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Because of your leaky petcocks, gas has gotten down into your crankase. This has raised your oil level, and your crankase breather tube is putting that extra oil/gas mixture into the intake tubes of your carbs, resulting in lots of smoke. I know because mine did the same thing. Fix your float problem in your carb and all will be well. Mine runs perfect now and I wish the same for you.
      '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
      '66 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
      X