Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TKat Fork Brace installed!

Hello Fellow XSives,

I just got my TKat fork brace today. It took 11 days from when I sent the money order until the time I got it in my mailbox! Too cool.

How can I post a pic of it in a message box?

If you don't have one, you gotta get one. It was just $85.00 delivered!
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Now get the fine grit emery paper and follow-up with aluminum polish and you will see a real gem!!!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Heck Yeah!

Dude, I'm so gonna do that! I was working on the covers already. Why not polish that sucker up too!
      Gone but never Forgotten:
      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I've just spent most of the afternoon with a new Tkat brace, an old t shirt and a bottle of Blue Magic liquid metal polish while watching it snow. My question is basically at what point do you know your about finished "polishing" aluminum? I keep getting the black residue on the cloth, keep rubbing to get it shiney, repeat, and keep getting more of the same black residue and repeating. Without getting into a multi step process, even though I do have a dremel, is this an ok way to shine things up in general? Hurry up spring.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

You're done polishing when you are happy with it. You are the only one who you have to worry about impressing. If you like it, then it's done.

Comment

Hey John, and Laxdad,

IIRC, his FB's are not ANODIZED, so you've got raw aluminum there, so everytime you add the polish, it will react with the aluminum to give you the black residue! Some folks might recommend clearcoating it after you get it to the finish you want, to help preserve it and make it so you won't have to polish it again, just merely wash it!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. I don't know a thing about metal finishing. Looks like I would have be seeing black for a very long time. Can you just get a spray can of clearcoat from duplicolor or someone?
              Also, regarding Goldwing bars. I think there is an appropriate set on ebay #4529650054. They do have a couple predrilled holes but I think they would be covered by the grips and controls. I'm assuming that would be ok?
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Hey again Laxdad,

I checked out those bars, yea, they look about right. The holes are because Honda ran the electrical wires down thru the bars, for a cleaner look, but ours are on the outside, so you won't need to worry about them.

You may want to check in the tech tips regarding polishing and clearcoating, as to which type is recommended, ie., enamel, acrylic, laquer?? Anodizing is a special electroplating technique, that uses current and an ?acid? bath, that causes the aluminum to form a hard seal skin on the outside, closes the pores of the metal, makes it better against corrosion, tints can be added to the bath, thats how they get those nifty colored aluminum parts, they aren't painted!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

I got my TKAT fork brace in the mail.It took ten days from the time I sent the check till it arrived at my doorstep. I buffed it on a large buffing wheel with the use of some Mothers polish for about ten minutes untill I removed all the machine and tool marks.It is as slick and shiny as the front fender. It went on and fit like a glove. I rode the bike for a 150 miles today and I could tell a difference.The front end felt tighter especially on rain groves and rough pavement.I had put new 15 weight fork oil in,the manual calls for ten weight and I like the new feel a lot better.It's a nice piece of work and for 85$ an absolute steal.
                  81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Pray tell...how in hell...DO YOU GET A HOLD OF TKAT!?!?!?!

I've sent him three e-mails in the past month and he won't answer. I need a fork brace for KONG and Zilla. But I can't get the guy to return e-mail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Are you sending your email to: "tkat@tkat.com" ??

He replied to mine right away and sent me my fb lightning fast. Now if only I can figure out where it goes... anyone got a pic of a midnight?
                      The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Hey Michael,

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but it goes right over/ontop of the front fender, but you have to slide the dust caps up first, then the clamps slide down over that part of the lowers, then you slide the dustcaps back down onto the fork brace. The cross brace is designed to fit very close to the fender.
                        HTH? T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Actually TC, I wasn't kidding. I have the fb here but the bike is in a friend's garage which doesn't have the flooding problem mine does. Just want to make sure I can figure it out when I go over there to put it on. I told you I wasn't a mechanic. To think I took apart the tranny and dremmeled it into perfection. Just proves what an awesome teacher you are. Thanks for the tip on the fb, teach.

Mike
                          The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Yes I sent it to that address. I'll try again for the UMPTEENTH time.

Comment

Here is a pict of the forkbrace.

Had one on my 81H and it made a 101% difference on the handling.

Now all you need is Tkat's aluminum horn and starter buttons. He used to send them out for a small donation to your local animal shelter or ASPCA. But check with him on that.

Tkat's website
                              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
                              X