Starter barely turns over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter barely turns over

Fellow XS'ers: My 79 barely turns over- stops, then barley starts. The battery was 3-4 years old, so I replaced it ($80 bucks). Charged it up for 9 hours at 2 amps per instructions- no change. I checked and cleaned the contacts to Gnd and Pos, not change. My charging system probably is not the problem because I charged the battery and it still barely turns over. Do I have a bad starter (drawing too much current)? Possibly a bad new battery? All the instrument panel goes real dim (or dark) while trying to start. If it is a bad starter, where should I buy one? I appreciate this web site and any help. I ride my XS every week and love the ride and handling. I will see some of you in Reno. Thanks.

Brian,

Before you buy a new starter try cleaning the connections.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the starter.

Clean the engine block where the rear starter bolts attach. tis is the negative connection for the starter.

Likewise clean the starter housing where the bolts go through.

Clean the bolts, also.

Clean the positive starter connector and the wire end.

Put it all back together, Before you re-connect the battery, clean the bolted connectors at the solenoid under the right hand cover next to the fuse block.

Comment

It could be brushes especially if you have cranked it for more than 25 or 30 seconds say 25 or 30 times. Yow! Get 'em for $22 at cyclewareables.com.
      David Browne
      XS11SG Crunchbird
      XS500E

Comment

solenoid?

Hi Brian,
        After you've checked, cleaned, dielectric greased and re-tightened every last starter cable connection like Randy sez, there's one remaining that you can't get at. The contact inside the starter solenoid.
        To eliminate this final suspect short the solenoid terminals across with a pair of cheap pliers you're not fond of. If the solenoid's internal contacts are the problem, shorting the connections across bypasses them and the starter should work properly.
        Fred Hill, S'toon.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: solenoid?

In neutral gear, of course! You won't catch it from that position if she rolls off the sidestand. I'm sure you knew that, and it probably is still in neutral, but it never hurts to check.

Originally posted by fredintoon

To eliminate this final suspect short the solenoid terminals across with a pair of cheap pliers you're not fond of. If the solenoid's internal contacts are the problem, shorting the connections across bypasses them and the starter should work properly.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the GREAT advice! I will let you know how it turns out.

Brian

Comment

Also check the engine case -> frame ground wire. Should be at the back right top side of the engine, bolted to the frame somewhere on the right side. At least mine is.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

JAT...

I replaced both battery cables on my XJ, cranking got better. Those old cables develope corrosion between the ring connector and wires that you can't really clean. Ground wire was no biggie, can often find short ones at a lawn mower repair shop, positive is different (at least the XJ) becuse of the extra power tap on it. I bought the Yamaha OEM replacement. Makes more of a difference than you might think!
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. The problem was with my Solenoid. I shorted it and the engine cranked fast and started. Since then it always cranks fast. Hmm, a weak solenoid just got a wakeup call?

Brian

Comment

Bit late here...

Sorry 'bout that... yep, had the same thing. Lazy me got to the stage of starting the bike more often than not with an old spanner (wrench) I carried around.

When I finally got sick of bodging it this way (not a good thing to do long term) - I found that my XS11 solenoid ('82 vintage) was the same as many other later Yamaha parts. I got mine from a mid-'90's 900 Diversion (XJ900). Although that's not a US model I guess that these things will be on a lot of the Yam range from then.

Look around in your local breakers (bone yard) at some of the bigger Yams with the old part with you... you may find a good replacement for next to no cash.
                    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                    Guzzi 850
                    Z1000

Comment

Brian,

Shorting across the solenoid contacts effectively removes the solenoid from the circuit, and so could not have been a 'wake up call' for the internals of the solenoid.

More than likely that your connections at the solenoid were loose or corroded. If you want continued trouble-free service, clean 'em, grease 'em and retighten 'em.

Comment

selinoid

If your selinoid is bad could you then wire a starter button into the mix instead of pliers?You know what i mean,you would still have to use the key but would have to hit the start button you installed as aposed to the factory unit.
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

dissassemble soleniod?

I've done this on other bikes, but not on an 1100. Some soleniods can be dismantled, then you just clean the contacts in there and put it back together. (Old grease and rust).. Some have screws and other you'll need to pry the metal case of off to get in there. Whether our's are accessible like this, I don't recall. Same as ignition switch probs, disassemble, sandpaper the contact plate, and it's good as new. (Probably should have gone out to the garage to look before opening my mouth) But.. this is just general info to store away in one's head.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Our solenoid can be dismantled, I've done it.

Comment

Re: selinoid

That would be a lot of amps for a starter button!

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                              If your selinoid is bad could you then wire a starter button into the mix instead of pliers?You know what i mean,you would still have to use the key but would have to hit the start button you installed as aposed to the factory unit.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X